Entacmaea quadricolor..eggs

Colby
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Scores: 3
  • Reward points : 165
Entacmaea quadricolor..eggs - Friday, February 8, 2013 7:32 PM
I have been working on anemone propagation for a while, mostly asexual however the ultimate goal is sexually produced anemones. I think I may be close.

I recently introduced a large green/tan E. quadricolor to a tank with a bunch of clone (presumably male) RBTA's. There was almost instantly a tactile like reaction from all the anemones. Within 24 hours of the introduction several of the male anemones started standing up rigidly with a convex shaped oral disc. My understanding is this is what they do prior to gamete release. More importantly though, the large green anemone has been accumulating eggs in the tentacle tips all day. I have no idea if they are fertile as I have not witnessed a male gamete release or spawning event. Curiously a bunch of snails and other inverts all started spawning last night and this am as well.

Here are the pics. Any thoughts/experiences or ideas?
Attached Image(s)

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Entacmaea quadricolor..eggs - Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:29 AM
Good luck, Colby. From what I've read from Shimek, be ready with a lot of new salt water. Not sure if this applies to E. quadricolor or if he was talking about more temperate species (that would likely only spawn once per year), but the anemones he had spawn released something on the order of 80% of their body weight in gametes. Polyspermy is likely to be an issue as well.

Do you know if E. quadricolor are brooders? If so, hopefully the males will release gametes slowly.

Anyway, please keep us informed! Very exciting!
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886