How to tell if I've been feeding too much squid

nrbelk
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 216
How to tell if I've been feeding too much squid - Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:44 PM
I have a pair of clown fish that I've had for about two months now.  The guy I got them from said he thought they were spawning in his tank but wasn't sure.

The female is looking really kind of big along her belly.  I don't see much much behavior that I think should be there before a spawn (I'm still really new at this and don't have any attempts/experience at it yet).  Because of this, I'm worried that maybe I'm feeding too much?  My food is home made and there is squid but I thought I didn't use very much compared to the other foods (I read in one of the books that too much squid leads to fatty liver disease).  

My fish food does have arrowhead flounder in it as that was the only fish I could get when I made this batch.  Is that a bad fish to use?  

Sorry I don't have a picture, I'll try to remember to take one today when I get home.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:How to tell if I've been feeding too much squid - Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:06 PM
Sounds to me like she's getting ready to spawn. My females get pretty fat (Don't let her hear that! ) before they spawn. My female Darwin looks like she swallowed a marble and I'm expecting a spawn tonight.

I don't think you'd be seeing signs of fatty liver in 2 months unless you were feeding a lot of fatty foods and the male would most likely be affected too.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:How to tell if I've been feeding too much squid - Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:04 PM
Here is a piture of my A. ocellaris female just minutes before a big spawn:  https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcd...801590_532282796_o.jpg

nrbelk
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 216
Re:How to tell if I've been feeding too much squid - Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:43 PM
Wow, After seeing that picture I won't worry for now.  Thanks for the info!