Hybrid Clowns For Sale

ReefBreeder
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 61
Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:59 PM
Hey Guys,
I am going to sell a few pairs of my new Mai Tai clowns. You can see my thread>>> HERE <<<.

I know how rare these are but do not want to go overboard on the prices, like some other designer fish. I am selling these one of a kind beauties for $60 a fish +Shipping of your choice. Please PM with any questions you may have!
About a month after meta

Here are the 'rents

Have some WYSIWYG pics and vids for you. Single fish are still $60 but doing $100 pairs plus shipping!!
Pair 1 $100

[video=youtube;Uj04xI7slTo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj04xI7slTo&amp;feature=youtu.be[/video]
Pair 2 $100 Plus Shipping

[video=youtube;IU4JfY2rvWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU4JfY2rvWA&amp;amp;feature=youtu.be[/video]

I have singles as well as misbars if you're interested.

JerseyClowns
  • Total Posts : 0
  • Reward points : 57
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:54 AM
Interested in several, how big are they now? I have a UPS account, if i send you the package slip could you ship via UPS? Would you be interested in a trade for snowflakes or B&W/ Darwins?

Let me know.

ReefBreeder
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:20 PM
PM Sent!

ReefBreeder
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:47 AM
Hey Tony,
Did you get my PM's? I sent two but my private messages is stating I have nothing in my sent folder.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:00 PM
"Mai Tai"? Based on your thread, this is a hybrid of Ocellaris X Maroon.  This hybrid already has a well established name.

Proaquatix had this hybrid on their website for years as the Cocoa Clownfish (it's gone from their current website, but you can use the wayback machine to see it - based on some quick checks, it appears Proaquatix added this hybrid, under that name, in 2005 (White Tipped, which is sebae X polymnus, was added in 2004). http://proaquatix.com/spe.esselect.asp?GROUPID=200]http://web.archive.org/we...select.asp?GROUPID=200[/link]

The correct name for this hybrid, based on precedence, is Cocoa Clownfish, and it's most certainly not "new".

(Update - I see that you're already aware of Proaquatix's earlier naming of this fish...why rename something that already has a clearly established name that you were aware of?  I view this as marketing hype, and as a matter of personal opinion, I don't support it.  You're better off following the well-established pattern of "possessive branding", eg. ORA Picasso, Rod's Picassos, Booyah's Onyx, Rod's Onyx etc...it's more honest and up front about what you're selling, and recognizes both your personal effort as well as the discoveries / accomplishments of whoever first created this hybrid and gave it a name).

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ReefBreeder

Hey Tony,
Did you get my PM's? I sent two but my private messages is stating I have nothing in my sent folder.

There is an option when you send a PM to have it saved in your "sent" folder. Check to be sure the box is checked. If it's not the PM will not show up.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

joebean
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 357
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:54 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

"Mai Tai"? Based on your thread, this is a hybrid of Ocellaris X Maroon.  This hybrid already has a well established name.

Proaquatix had this hybrid on their website for years as the Cocoa Clownfish (it's gone from their current website, but you can use the wayback machine to see it - based on some quick checks, it appears Proaquatix added this hybrid, under that name, in 2005 (White Tipped, which is sebae X polymnus, was added in 2004). http://proaquatix.com/spe.esselect.asp?GROUPID=200]http://web.archive.org/we...select.asp?GROUPID=200[/link]

The correct name for this hybrid, based on precedence, is Cocoa Clownfish, and it's most certainly not "new".

(Update - I see that you're already aware of Proaquatix's earlier naming of this fish...why rename something that already has a clearly established name that you were aware of?  I view this as marketing hype, and as a matter of personal opinion, I don't support it.  You're better off following the well-established pattern of "possessive branding", eg. ORA Picasso, Rod's Picassos, Booyah's Onyx, Rod's Onyx etc...it's more honest and up front about what you're selling, and recognizes both your personal effort as well as the discoveries / accomplishments of whoever first created this hybrid and gave it a name).

The cocoa clownfish is from a black and white ocellaris and a maroon. It's not the same mix.
However i've seen them called maroonellaris years ago

ReefBreeder
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:52 PM
Thanks Fishtal!!!
Joebean, the clownfish you are thinking of is a Mocha clownfish.
Matt, thank you for responding to my thread! As you stated in your update, I am well aware of the proaquatix hybrid between a maroon and ocellaris. I was also under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that these never made it to market and they experienced massive die-offs at 6 months. In research I have been doing on hybrids in general, it matters which is the father and which is the mother. In dog breeding for instance, when the labradoodle first came on the scene, the male had to be the labrador and the poodle the female. My pairing is different from proaquatix in that the male is maroon and the female ocellaris.(Update: also that their ocellaris was a b&w. Thanks JB) It was never my intention to ruffle feathers, insult anyone and it's definitely not my intention to be dishonest. I think I have been very clear about what I have, how I got there etc. My decision to name them differently was based on that I believe I have genetically different fish than they did. I am definitely no expert and I am very new to breeding although I tried to do my due diligence.
<message edited by ReefBreeder on Friday, March 8, 2013 9:37 AM>

ReefBreeder
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:32 PM
Deleted, redundant.

<message edited by ReefBreeder on Friday, March 8, 2013 9:38 AM>

joebean
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 357
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ReefBreeder

Thanks Fishtal!!!
Joebean, the clownfish you are thinking of is a Mocha clownfish.

Mocha is a pure ocellaris mix
My understanding from the cocoa is its a black Darwin ocellaris X maroon
I believe which is the male/female has no bearing on the results
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/4/fish

http://www.proaquatix.com.tml/clownfish-cocoa.html
"Description: Hybrid between a female white-striped maroon clownfish and a male black ocellaris clownfish. "

ReefBreeder
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:34 PM
Interesting article Joe! I think I've read it somewhere before but a good read. Totally missed that part about their cocoa father being black ocellaris. I'll keep that information for future discussions!
Sustainable aquatics has their mocha as b&w mixed with regular ocellaris.
http://www.sustainableaqu...ish/mocha/?ParentId=44

mPedersen
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:04 AM
I have to come back and say I stand corrected ReefBreeder, and if we are to treat White Stripes and Gold Stripes as separate entities, as well as Ocellaris and Black Ocellaris as distinct (and I think many of us breeders WOULD all consider all 4 as distinct species based on our interactions with them), then yes, the Mai Tai name would be most appropriate as it would be a "new" hybrids possibly not made before.  So as it would stand for the moment:

Maroon Gold Stripe X Black Ocellaris = Cocoa (I have to confirm with David Gross..ORA reports the parentage as Gold Stripe, but Proaquatix didn't go into that level of distinction - on the PQ Website it was Premnas biaculeatus X Amphiprion ocellaris, which with no other modifiers you would presume to be the same parentage as the parents you now have, the "common" forms of the "species").
Maroon Gold Stripe X Ocellaris = Blood Orange (per ORA's website)
Maroon White Stripe X Ocellaris = Mai Tai (per this thread)
Maroon White Stripe X Black Ocellaris = never been done yet? 

mPedersen
Re:Hybrid Clowns For Sale - Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:11 PM
Update, I have it on good authority (from Eric Wagner at Proaquatix) that the ProQ Cocoa Clownfish was in fact White Stripe Maroon X Black Ocellaris male.  David Gross, who did the cross, explained that they took the tile from a spawning female white stripe and gave it to a male Black Ocellaris, who promptly fertilized it and then tended it.  And that's how Cocoas came about.

Which also means that Maroon Gold Stripe X Black Ocellaris has yet to be done and named.

Matt