LF someone willing to ship a few seahorse pairs to Canada

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
LF someone willing to ship a few seahorse pairs to Canada - Monday, March 11, 2013 2:53 PM
Is there anyone out there that can get their paws on some Erectus and/or Barbouri seahorses and is willing to work with me to get the appropriate paperwork done for shipping to Canada?  Obviously and unfortunately, this will involve CITES.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:LF someone willing to ship a few seahorse pairs to Canada - Monday, March 11, 2013 3:25 PM
Get one of those crazy Detroit guys to just drive some across. What's a little prison time among friends anyways!

DanUnderwood
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points : 238
Re:LF someone willing to ship a few seahorse pairs to Canada - Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:19 PM
I can refer you to someone who will ship to Canada but she has a 100 count minimum.  The costs and headaches involved aren't worthwhile with less.  If you any decent marketing, it should be easy to sell them and cover your costs.

I have also had several customers order and have them held at a FedEx station south of the border.  They picked them up and drove them through.  Said they didn't have a problem with an invoice where they could declare them.  Apparently, some border crossing locations are easier than others.

Dan

EasterEggs
Re:LF someone willing to ship a few seahorse pairs to Canada - Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:23 PM
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been away from home.

Thanks for the info Dan!  I really don't want to flood the semi-local market with 100 ponies since I am hoping to supply the market.    I know the trouble and costs isn't worthwhile to the average person, but these ponies aren't available at all in Canada, so "worthwhile" is relative. 

Driving the ponies across doesn't change the need for CITES, it just makes the chances of getting an officer that knows the ponies need CITES permits quite a bit less.  It seems like a big risk to me.  I am also about 5 hours from the USA border, and then another 2 hours to a reasonably sized community, so that would be quite the journey.

Please PM me contact information for the pony supplier, and maybe we can work something out.  Thanks!

DanUnderwood
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points : 238
Re:LF someone willing to ship a few seahorse pairs to Canada - Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:46 PM
I wouldn't think 100 would flood the market.  When I was touring the LFS in Florida, I estimated the LFS in Palm Beach County sold 100 per month in that county alone.  In 2006, the Vietnamese supposedly exported 40,000 H. kuda to the US.
There is a fellow, Rayjay on the message boards or RC and Seahorse.org that should be able to direct you where to find some or sell them to you.

Dan

EasterEggs
Re:LF someone willing to ship a few seahorse pairs to Canada - Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:06 AM
Thanks Dan, I have been in contact with Rayjay. He doesn't know a source for Barbouri, just Erectus.

The 6 or so LFS within 6 hours of me usually order about 20-30 seahorses a few times per year and ordering that number keeps them in stock most of the year.  It would probably take me a year to sell that many seahorses.  Unless I sold them wholesale to the LFSs...hmmm, I could do that.  I'm not in a position to do that right now though since I am moving 300 miles in a few months.

Does this 100 minimum supplier have Barbouri?  After I move I will look seriously into placing this order.