Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula

Guerry
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points : 246
Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula - Friday, March 22, 2013 8:29 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: A.ocellaris female / A.percula male 
Social Structure:spawning pair only 
Size of Individuals: female 2" 1/2 / male 1" 1/2 
Age of Individuals: Female 2 years / male 1 3/4 years 
Date added to Tank:Female 4/15/12  male 2/12/12 
Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:20 gal tall 
Substrate Details: bare bottom  
Filtration Details: wet/dry bio-ball Matrics mix  Avest skimmer ATS 
Water Changes:10% weekly 
Water Temperature: 81.7
Lighting: LED
Lighting Cycle:16 hour 
Other Tank Inhabitants: none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: home made froozen / SA Hatchery Diet / Thera+A 
Feeding Schedule: 3 times daily 

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 1/6/13 
Spawn Time of Day: 5:30 pm  
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 1/17/13  2/1/13  2/14/13  2/26/13  3/11/13  3/22/13 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: orange
Egg Count:100 to 150 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 1/14/13
Hatch Time of Day: 1 hour after lights out about 9:30pm 
# Days after Spawn:8 
Larvae Description:active   
Consecutive Hatch Dates: 1/25/13  2/9/13  2/22/13  3/6/13  3/19/13    
3/31/13 collected 60+

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 82.0
Size of Larval Tank: 10gal
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details:none 
Lighting: 25 watt soft white bulb 
Lighting Cycle: 16 hours  
Water Changes: sifin bottom everyday after 2DPH drip back to level with broodstock system water 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:enriched rotifers / TDO A octohime after 4DPH 
Feeding Schedule: 3 times daily 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 2/2/13
Days after Hatch: 7
Date of Settlement End: 2/9/13
Description of Fry:  all with first stipe

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 81.7
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 30gal breeder 
Other Tank Decor: 1" pvc pipe for hiding places 
Filtration Details: wet/dry/ skimmer/ ATS 
Lighting:led 
Lighting Cycle: 16 hours 
Water Changes:10% weekly 
Size at Transfer: 3/8" 
Age at Transfer: 30 dph 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: TDO b1 / TDO b2 / SA .5mm hatchery diet 
Feeding Schedule:3 times daily 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Guerry on Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:36 AM>

Guerry
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula - Friday, March 22, 2013 8:41 AM
photo of pair

photo of pair tending eggs, note female works eggs as much as male if not more

photo of a fry notice rotifer count

Guerry
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula - Friday, March 22, 2013 8:52 AM
post metta. 14DPH

little guy 30DPH

Guerry
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula - Friday, March 22, 2013 9:08 AM
To date this has been quite the learning experience, I've had many ups and downs. My first clutch 100+ 4DPH airstone stopped working while I was at work, lost all but 5 fry of which I've got 4 60DPH now. The next clutch was 100% loss @21 DPH due to toxic tank nitrate 160+ then 2 days later lost another clutch by add 4cups phyto/rotifers all at once. I've come to call this  LnL ( loss=learn). I now keep larvea tanks cleaned dailly and only add water with drip. As of today I have 4 juv's 60DPH, 35 juv's 16DPH and fry no count yet 3DPH

Guerry
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula - Friday, March 22, 2013 9:23 AM
Photo of juv's 60DPH

Guerry
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula - Monday, March 25, 2013 11:02 AM
some juv's 19 DPH, I moved them to growtank @ 16 DPH after something went wrong in their larvea tank. I came home from work to find a plug had come loose from shocket and they had no water or air flow in tank. I don't know when this happened but I had been gone for 12 hours that day. I lost 10 fry before move, water tested ok with nitrates @ 10ppm and and ammnia reading 0 not sure what was killing them. I lost two the day this happened and thought it was low oxgen but the next day they started drying again. No more lost after move go figure

Guerry
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula - Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:43 AM
we had nice Easter Hatch, collected 60+ pictures before adding rotifers and green water

Freddie83
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 74
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula - Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:55 PM
This is very interesting in my opinion, with two different types of genes involved I would be curious to see which gene is more resilient/stronger. 
What traits/characteristics are the juveniles displaying? Are they coming out as a mix of the two parents or are some displaying Percula traits while come others Ocellaris?
What you are doing could tell us a lot about the two different genes and what happens when you mix them.
Great job thinking outside of the box and doing something different. Keep us updated with your results.

Guerry
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: A. ocellaris / A.percula - Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:48 PM
A little history here, I didn't set out to breed highbird clowns. This pair was bought when still juv,s and the male was sold to me as an A. ocellaris and with my inexperence I didn't know the diffence. These are the first of six pairs that I have to spawn and I've been raising them to get over the learning curve and be prepaired for pairs that I've invested much more money in. As for their traits I've found that in each spawn they will mosty display one or the other and not a mix between the two. To add to this they just laid new clutch but I think this will be the last I wil collect from them as a pair and split them up after this hatch. Hopefully when I add new male the female will be ok with him and contenue to spawn. Matt made some good points to me else where and I think I should follow his advice on this