When to separate a three some?

nrbelk
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 216
When to separate a three some? - Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:04 PM
I have had a trio of true percs for about 4 months now.  They were/are juveniles but recently two of them have really been attacking each other.  Today when I was feeding them they were duking it out pretty hard.  Twisting, spinning, biting and not letting go, etc.  Neither of them were backing down at all, not even a single side twitch. 

The third one is smaller than both and when the really aggressive one attacked it, it didn't twitch, but also didn't keep the aggressor's attention for more than a second.

Is it time to remove one of the two that never backed down?  Will the third and most docile one still try to become dominate since it wasn't twitching?

Thanks

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:When to separate a three some? - Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:52 PM
Are the two that are fighting around the same size? How big is the smallest one in relation to the others?
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:When to separate a three some? - Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:08 PM
I would keep the most aggressive and the smallest. A trio won't work long term so might as well split them now while you still have 3 alive.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:When to separate a three some? - Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:24 PM
I agree.  Pick one of the aggressors to remove, and leave the little guy with the other one.

check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

nrbelk
Re:When to separate a three some? - Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:04 PM
The two that really go at are pretty close to the same size. The instigator is slightly smaller. The third one is the smallest but not by much.

I really like the markings of the biggest one way more. Us it alright if i keep that one instead of the instigator? The biggest one never backed down while i was watching

nrbelk
Re:When to separate a three some? - Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:06 PM
I started with a trio cause i was told it was a good way to get a pair when starting with juveniles. I knew i would eventually have to remove one sooner or later

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:When to separate a three some? - Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:43 PM
Quote Originally Posted by nrbelk

The two that really go at are pretty close to the same size. The instigator is slightly smaller. The third one is the smallest but not by much.

I really like the markings of the biggest one way more. Us it alright if i keep that one instead of the instigator? The biggest one never backed down while i was watching

In this case I would go with the largest and the smallest as well. If there was more of a size difference between the largest and second largest I might say let them duke it out for a bit but it sounds like they are too close in size. Either way it's time to remove one.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Freddie83
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 74
Re:When to separate a three some? - Saturday, April 6, 2013 1:29 PM
I would definitely stick with he largest and smallest. How long have you had them for?

nrbelk
Re:When to separate a three some? - Monday, April 8, 2013 10:45 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Freddie83

I would definitely stick with he largest and smallest. How long have you had them for?

I separated them on the first day after posting this.  I took the larger one (even though it wasn't the aggressor, just always fought back and never backed down) and the smallest one (not that much smaller, but was the smaller one of the three).

Those two now seem to be pretty good buddies, both hosting in the flower pot I got them instead of hanging out of it in separate corners.

I've had them for about 4 months now.