Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus

Riley
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 53
Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, April 8, 2013 2:01 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Atelomycterus marmoratus
Social Structure:  pair
Size of Individuals:  M: 53cm, F: 60cm (both approx)
Age of Individuals:  Unknown (wild caught)
Date added to Tank:  M: 10/20/2010, F: 2/02/2012

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  180 US Gallons, 180 x 60 x 60cm
Substrate Details:  Agramax sugar-sized oolite #00930
Filtration Details:  live rock in sump, protein skimmer
Water Changes:  25 US gallons per week
Water Temperature:  24.4 C
Lighting:  Marineland double bright LED
Lighting Cycle:  8 on, 16 off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  cortez ray, two lookdowns

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  mix of fish flesh, shrimp, squid, crab
Feeding Schedule:  3 - 4 times per week

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  1/26/2013
Spawn Time of Day:  late night/ early morning (middle of night sometime)
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  2/19/13, 2/20/13, 3/05/13, 3/16/13, 3/22/13(wind egg), 3/28/13(wind egg), 3/29/13
Courtship Details:  Male follows female around tank and also swims parallel with female around the tank. When female stops, the male will nudge his head into the female by the gill region. He will also nip on the sides, the top, and tail region. During mating witnessed 2/26/13 @ 5:28 pm, the male bit onto the female on the top of her body, above the pectoral fins. While attached to her and swimming around the tank, the male claspers erected outward in opposite directions. The male then curled his body around and inserted one of his claspers. This mating event lasted approx 30 - 60 seconds. I have witnessed the courtship behavior lasting longer, but the total time has been unverified.
Egg Size:  7cm
Egg Color:  light brown, egg shifts to dark brown as it ages
Egg Count:  22 as of 7/02/13. Egg #5 laid 3/05/13 first viable one

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  7/02/13
Hatch Time of Day:  Middle of night (Found out of egg casing around 2:00 am)
# Days after Spawn:  119 days
Larvae Description:  Shark is born fully developed. This shark was hatched at 10.5 cm and weighed 5.3 grams
Consecutive Hatch Dates:      

Larval Tank Details   Not Applicable, these sharks hatch fully developed, larval stage occurs inside of egg casing
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details Not Applicable, these sharks hatch fully developed, feeding occurs inside of egg casing via yoke sack
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  7/02/13
Days after Hatch:  0
Date of Settlement End:  7/02/13
Description of Fry:  born fully developed and independent

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  24.4 C
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  9"x"6"x6.5" critter keeper, placed inside main tank. The size of this is for ease of feeding and cleanup.
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor:  small amount of live rock to weigh down critter keeper and provide sense of security
Filtration Details:  live rock, protein skimmer, large canister filter
Lighting:  Nearby window
Lighting Cycle:  natural light in room
Water Changes:  25 US gallons per week (from total system water volume)
Size at Transfer:  10.5 cm
Age at Transfer:  119 days / 0 days. After 119 day development period in egg casing, shark is born fully developed and independent, and was immediately transfered to grow-out tank upon hatch.

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  live feeder shrimp (Penaeus vannamei), thawed frozen mysis
Feeding Schedule:  twice daily

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information:  At the end of May, sharks and eggs were moved from Chicago to Minneapolis with zero losses. They currently reside in two large stock tanks linked together. Parents are in one, eggs, live rock, skimmer, are in the other. Additional filtration provided by a large canister filter. Note: this is a temporary setup until residents can be moved into a much larger 500 gallon pond setup which is waiting completion. Everyone is happy and there have been six more viable eggs in this setup.

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Riley on Monday, October 14, 2013 8:53 PM>

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, April 8, 2013 2:14 PM
Broodstock pair

egg

development one month post-spawn

development at two months

At three months

Taken 6/22/13, almost 4 months. Yoke sack almost used up

Hatch: Late 7/01/13 - Early 7/02/13, found middle of night, completely out of egg casing around 2:00 am

Neonate weighs in at 5.3 grams

60 days post settlement: 7 grams, 13 cm

<message edited by Riley on Sunday, September 8, 2013 3:25 PM>

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, April 8, 2013 2:48 PM
This is awesome. 
How long until hatch? What do you anticipate they will eat upon hatching? 

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, April 8, 2013 3:00 PM
Should be around 6 - 8 months from laying until hatching from what I can find. Will post actual hatch dates and total time when it happens.

After the yoke sac is used up, they will be offered mysis and squid. Ocean Nutrition's squid cubes break up into nice tiny pieces that a 6" neonate will easily be able to eat.

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, April 8, 2013 3:08 PM
6"! Hahahaha Big baby! And you have to wait so long

Where are the eggs in the meantime? Do the parents take care of them in any way, or have you removed them?  Are the parents typically together like in the picture?  Were you able to sex them before putting them together?

I guess I have a lot of questions and know next to nothing about these.  Perhaps I should google a bit...

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:58 AM
They should hatch a little smaller than 6", probably about 4-5", but they grow super fast at first. They can be sexed immediately after birth.

The eggs are abandoned immediately after they are laid. I keep the eggs in the sump of the main display because of lack of a separate system at the moment. There will be some big upgrades coming in the next few months. I keep them separate because there is a chance they will be eaten by the parents. 

The parents are usually together in their cave during the day. Similar ones in the wild can be found in groups huddled together like that. I only have the two at the moment. I hope to add more females within the year, once they have more room.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:30 AM
Dibs on babies if the price is reasonable!  I'll come pick 'em up even  Or, for that matter, if you want to sell egg cases, I'd gladly buy a few! This has been on my list for a LONG time - 300 gallon pond is waiting. 

patent
  • Total Posts : 67
  • Reward points : 843
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:45 AM
Very cool, congrats.

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:17 PM
Thanks guys! Matt, I'll keep you in mind for later on for sure.

reeflover
  • Total Posts : 183
  • Reward points : 258
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Saturday, April 20, 2013 4:40 PM
Congratulations!  Way to go!

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:53 PM
The shark hatched today!

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 853
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:54 PM
Excellent! Man that lil guy sure is cute!

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points : 1003
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:35 PM
Nice !
Anderson.

mPedersen
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, August 12, 2013 2:36 AM
Bravo!  How many more eggs still in incubation?  What was the sex of your first born?

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:59 PM
I have six eggs in incubation at the moment. The first born is a male. He is doing great and isn't far from hitting the 60 day mark.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:15 PM
Cool!!
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

mPedersen
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, October 14, 2013 1:19 PM
How are those other eggs doing?

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, October 14, 2013 9:07 PM
I've had a couple more hatch and the other eggs are doing good so far. I had thought I was at the end of the breeding season, but after a couple months of nothing they just starting laying eggs again.

mPedersen
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:56 AM
Let me know if or when you're ready to part with some.  Willing buyer here!  I'm shooting for a pair

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, October 21, 2013 12:46 PM
I haven't forgotten about you, Matt. You'll have to let me know when the next time you'll be in the twin cities and we'll see if we can work something out.

mPedersen
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:39 PM
I'm coming down for the swap

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:23 PM
Matt, I sent you a pm

mPedersen
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Sunday, November 24, 2013 12:34 PM
Two of Riley's girls now dwell in Duluth! Thanks Riley, they're great!

Mr Cob
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Reward points : 127
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:21 PM
Pretty awesome, do you have any vids anywhere? I'm on my phone so perhaps you have them posted and I'm just not seeing.

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:24 PM
No vids anywhere. At some point i'll get into that - maybe a Go Pro or something like that.

Matt, I'm glad you think they are cool and I hope you have great luck with them!

mPedersen
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:33 PM
They got their first feeding of PE Mysis this afternoon.  Man it doesn't take much to fill them up.  The one girl went so crazy when she realized there was food in the tank that she wound up swimming around on her back, upside down, more than once; even ATE upside down (but did get herself back right-side-up of course and settled down to digest the meal).

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:59 PM
Shark number four at 60DPS:

Here's a lineup of development. Basically about zero to four months:

mPedersen
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:20 PM
Riley they're looking great - any new photos?

Riley
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:52 PM
New photos? Sort of:

Currently working on some major system upgrades. Twin 500 gallon round tanks with a dedicated adjacent filter room. Will be only running one leg at first, the other will sit empty until needed.

Left to Right: Aquadyne 4000 bead filter with dynamax, 120W UV, Aquarium Engineering protein skimmer with 12x48" body, Aquarium Engineering sulfur denitrator to be put online later, 1.8kw inline titanium heat exchanger, low space bioreactor with 2 - 2.5 ft3 of kaldnes, 74 gallon aquaculture sump tank.

Still have a lot of work to do, and based on available free time, I hope to be online by this winter.

PPoeschl
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 26
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:23 PM
willing to trade?

mPedersen
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus - Monday, August 11, 2014 12:58 PM
Wow, stunningly nice job Riley!