Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus

Bongo Shrimp
  • Total Posts : 231
  • Reward points : 425
Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:02 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Tigriopus californicus
Species description:  Large red harpacticoid copepod 
Culture source (link if possible):  http://reefnutrition.com/tigger_pods.php
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  September 15, 2012 (estimated date)
Continuation Date:  3/16/2014 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  ~1.025-1.055 Typically ~1.030-1.035
Temperature:   68-78ºF (located in basement right next to a furnace)  
pH:  Not measured

Vessel description: 5g bucket          
Lighting description:  2x 120w equivalent compact fluorescent bulbs in clamp-on shop light fixtures, ~2ft above cultures  
Lighting cycle:  ~10 hrs
Aeration description:  None.  I found a higher density with less aeration and the highest with no aeration. 

Methodologies
Split methodology:  Split every other week or as needed depending on densities.  Sieve out copepods and replace water with synthetic sea water using Seachem Reef Salt.

Culture medium description: 
I started this culture feeding PhytoFeast Live once a week, keeping the water a green tint.  I then decided to try Reed Mariculture Shellfish Diet since I had some to experiment with and found significantly lower densities over a period of about 4 months.  I will be switching back to PhytoFeast Live exclusively the next time I go to a LFS.

I have now switched to feeding Rotigrow+ because it keeps much longer (frozen) and much more bang for the buck.  It also gives me super high yields at least compared to phytofeast live or shellfish diet. I feed almost every day but sometimes every other day depending on how clear the water is.

Cell count:
**Estimates**
PhytoFeast Live: 100-350/liter
Shellfish Diet: ~100/liter, never more
Rotigrow+ (co-cultured with rotifers): ~200-450/liter (maybe more)        

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
I now have 7 cultures co-culture my Tigriopus with rotifers in all but one culture.  I have noticed higher yields when cultured with rotifers.  The one other bucket has been self sustaining itself for over a year and a half with Nanno. which was from the phytofeast live. This one culture always has very low densities and I have not harvested from it or split it in over a year, only top off.  It is an experiment more than anything.

<message edited by Bongo Shrimp on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:33 PM>

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:04 PM

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Friday, April 12, 2013 11:42 PM
HD Video of some of my Tigriopus californicus:
http://www.youtube.com/wa.h?v=Xapp2OTrr6s&hd=1

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:20 PM
So a couple of weeks ago I finally converted back to feeding phytofeast live.  It certainly increases numbers but in doing so, the population quickly grows too large and then dies back.  On top of this, I have inadvertently, but happily, introduced rotifers by stirring the cultures with the same stirrer I used in the rotifer cultures on the same day.  This has also caused a huge burst in population size but again it dies back quickly too.  I will begin splitting and collecting from the cultures much more often.

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Monday, June 17, 2013 11:43 AM
Video of harvest from four buckets (added two).
http://www.youtube.com/wa...owner&noredirect=1

nrbelk
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Reward points : 216
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:05 PM
Can you post some pictures of your culture vessels?  I would like to culture these but haven't been successful yet.

Also, what do you use to take your photographs of the copepods?

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:07 AM
I can take a pic later but they are a bit messy.  Honestly though they are nothing more than a 5g bucket.  Literally.  No air stone, no heater, nothing.  A 5g bucket filled with SW, a starter culture of Tigriopus and phytofeast live.

nrbelk
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:21 AM
How often do you stir/change the water?  Maybe I was trying too hard lol

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:23 AM
I split it at least 3 times a month or more if  see the concentrations of pods are extremely high and I only stir when I add more phyto since it won't mix around itself with no water movement.

nrbelk
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info!  I'm going to try it this method.  Do you think that nanno and tetraselmis would be able to feed the properly?  (my Iso crashed and I can't get a new start to work).

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:52 AM
I only have experience feeding them with phytofeast live and am not sure how effective those would be.  Can't hurt to try.  There may be others with experience feeding nanno and tetraselmis to their tigriopus though.  I'd search around for more info on that.

Merkywater
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 64
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:14 PM
What do you use to video your pods?  Awesome vids!

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:17 PM
Thank you! iPhone 5

Merkywater
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 64
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:20 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Shrimp

Thank you! iPhone 5

Man my 4S want video like that lol. 

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:26 PM
Time for an update.  I now have 7, 5g Tirgriopus cultures.  I switched to feeding Rotigrow+ because it keeps much longer (frozen) and much more bang for the buck.  It also gives me super high yields at least compared to phytofeast live or shellfish diet.  I split every other week but it also depends on how well the culture is doing.  If it is sparse, I may not split it.  I also have 2, 120W equivalent compact fluorescent bulbs in those $8 clamp-on shop light fixtures from Home Depot.  I also now co-culture my Tigriopus with Rotifers.  I have noticed that I get better yields when doing this.  It also allows me to have emergency back ups of my rotifer cultures.

Here is a pic from today.  This is close to the maximum density I have ever had.

Close up.  (Bad quality, I know.  iPhone pic)

All of my work is done with the help of member altolamprologus (Heather Mutschler).  She shares all credit evenly with me for our accomplishments.

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, March 12, 2015 1:18 AM
How are you controlling ammonia now that you're using dead feeds? I've heard tigriopus can't tolerate chloramx

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, March 12, 2015 1:22 AM
We do not test for ammonia and the copepods do not care. We also do not add anything to remove ammonia. They are naturally found in tide pools and are tolerant of pretty much anything. The only reason we see a dip in productivity from our cultures is if we do not feed enough or if we do not split after about 2 months.

2 months is longer than usual and that has only happened once or twice when we got really busy and didn't think about it. We currently have 7 cultures and in January we started a new culture with a new bottle of copepods and have since inoculated the other cultures with a new bloodline. The cultures remain very strong.
All of my work is done with the help of member altolamprologus (Heather Mutschler).  She shares all credit evenly with me for our accomplishments.

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:32 AM
Still keeping rotifers in culture with them as well? Thanks for the info!

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:22 AM
Yes we are. Once they get in they don't come out but we don't want to get them out. You're welcome.

Jake
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 140
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:46 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Shrimp

Yes we are. Once they get in they don't come out but we don't want to get them out. You're welcome.

Excellent thread, this is one I've never worked with, no real reason other then none available when I could add it.

Do they prefer the dark pail interior to a glass container?  I like the pairing with rotifers. They tend to have wings anyhow. 
Jake
We are all in this together

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:32 AM
Thank you. I have never tried to culture them in a clear container but I'm pretty sure they don't really care either way. These copepods are super easy to maintain and are unbelievably forgiving. I think that's partly because they are tide pool organisms and are able to handle a wide range of conditions. co-culturing the Tigriopus with the rotifers is kind of a double edged sword in that the rotifers eat any food added to the culture very quickly which means you have to feed more, but we have found that we get better yields of tigriopus when the rotifers are present.

Also, yes, rotifers have wings and anyone who disagrees has clearly never worked with them before.

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, March 12, 2015 12:40 PM
Gresham has confirmed that they do not like to be cultured in clear containers.

Jake
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:00 PM
Well then when I eventually try them it wont be in a clear container. That makes sense considering the natural habitat, no side lighting in tidal pools, so side lighting in a grow out container could really throw them off. I have read good things about them but have never tried them. The combo with rotifers is a 2 fer.
Jake

Bongo Shrimp
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:14 PM
Yeah the 5g bucket method we use works great and it's so simple.  People often ask me if I have a pic of the setup and I just tell them- it's a bunch of 5g buckets sitting on the concrete floor if my basement with a home depot work light CF bulb above them and that's it.

Also if you are going to use rotifers as a first feed for anything, you'll want to have a separate culture of just rotifers as Tigriopus pods can harm small larvae.

Jake- once the temps here in MI (I see you live here too) get warmer we will be able to ship starter cultures if you are interested.

Jake
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Friday, March 13, 2015 10:01 AM
Thanks, yes I would like a starter of them !   As it happens I know where your town is. I'm in Harrisville, north of Saginaw and south of Alpena.
So driving or shipping is my main methods of purchase. Otoh, I really like this area.

I am going to try adding some different  copepods too. 
Jake