Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus

Freddie83
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 74
Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:11 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Tigriopus californicus
Species description:  Tiger Pods
Culture source (link if possible):  Tiger Pods - Reef Nutrition
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  4/14/2013
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.024
Temperature:    82 Farenheit
pH:  7.8

Vessel description:  10g aquarium, bare bottom, housing juvenile clownfish post metamorphosis.
Lighting description:  60w white bulb.
Lighting cycle:  14 hours on - 10 hours off.
Aeration description:  Air pump from sponge filter

Methodologies
Split methodology: Vacuum during water change and collect through 53 microns filter.

Culture medium description: 

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
Attempting to co-culture juvenile clownfish and Tiger pods, my plan is to use the tiger pods as a way to remove uneaten food and other waste and feed the juvenile clownfish.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

altolamprologus
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 91
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:42 PM
The clowns are just going to eat all the tigger pods. Even with significant hiding places, the clowns will decimate the population until none are left. 

Bongo Shrimp
  • Total Posts : 231
  • Reward points : 425
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:44 PM
Quote Originally Posted by altolamprologus

The clowns are just going to eat all the tigger pods. Even with significant hiding places, the clowns will decimate the population until none are left. 

I agree.  Clown larvae are very hungry and theres no way the tigriopus could keep up.  Your best bet is to do a separate culture for tigriopus and if any survive in the tank it will just be a bonus.  

Freddie83
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 74
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:47 PM
Yes, sir. Their bellies are about to explode, I'm actually a little concerned my fry has overeaten, but I will say that I've visited a friend doing the same exact thing and he has a bad infestation of pods all over the tank... They were literally crawling on top of each other.