Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis - Monday, April 15, 2013 3:29 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Nannochloropsis
Species description:  green, non-motile, 4-6 microns
Culture source (link if possible): FAF Nannochloropsis microalgae disk,  http://florida-aqua-farms.com/shop/microalgae-disks/
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  4/15/2013
Continuation Date:  7/24/2013

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.020
Temperature:    Room temperature (approximately 68-72), warming during spring/summer
pH:  Not measured

Vessel description:  2L soda bottle
Lighting description:  Ambient light from southern facing window, 2-bulb fluorescent strip light
Lighting cycle: Strip light is turned on from 6-9pm when days are shorter, not turned on during the summer
Aeration description:  rigid airline tubing, rolling bubbles

Methodologies
Split methodology: 2/3 of the bottle is taken about every week, depending on how dark the culture is.  Water is replaced with sterilized broodstock tank water that has been fertilized with FAF Microalgae Grow.  Then switched to using sterilized freshly mixed ASW since it is easier to prepare.

Culture medium description: 1/2mL FAF F/2 per Liter of sterlized water

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
Water is sterilized using bleach and dechlorinated using sodium thiosulfate.
I actually started this culture in mid-February, but didn't get around to making the journal until now.
I keep two bottles of nanno going.  One is aerated and is the main one I split and use for rotifers.  The other bottle is not aerated.  I just drilled a hole in the lid to allow for some gas exchange.  I used to remember to "shake" it once or twice a day, but now I really only do it about once a week.  This culture is never dense, but can be used as a back-up and/or "brought online" if I need to ramp up production.  Years ago I cultured nearly all of my nanno this way...not aerated with a pump, just in 2L bottles that got manually mixed daily.  Those bottle were also kept in a southern facing window with no addition light.  I cultured that way for a year or so with little problem and those cultures were more dense because I actually paid attention to them

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by shannpeach on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:48 AM>

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis - Monday, April 15, 2013 3:32 PM
The starter culture disk:

I will have to remember to take a picture tonight of the 2L bottles

nrbelk
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Reward points : 216
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis - Monday, April 15, 2013 4:37 PM
That's how I started mine out.  I still have the culture going, close to a year later.

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis - Monday, April 15, 2013 5:08 PM
I have started nanno from a disk on two occasions, and didn't have a problem either time. Isochrysis on the other hand...both times I tried FAILED. Liquid Iso starters have worked well for me though.

nrbelk
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis - Monday, April 15, 2013 5:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by shannpeach

I have started nanno from a disk on two occasions, and didn't have a problem either time. Isochrysis on the other hand...both times I tried FAILED. Liquid Iso starters have worked well for me though.

I had a similar experience.  Nanno shot right up and did well from day one.  But Iso, I tried three different times from a disk and failed.  I got my Iso culture going from a liquid start as well.  Although one of my cultures crashed last week and so I'm trying to restart them and its taking a long time.... I hope I won't loose them.

An interesting thing though with the Iso disk on the last time I tried it.  I followed the directions except once it was in a culture vessel, I didn't aerate it.  I stuck it in the light to watch what would happen.  Weeks went by with little to no change while my culture from the liquid start was already turning dark brown.  But then one day, I noticed a faint tea coloring.  So I added some more water, fertalized it again, and let it sit.  It continued to get darker but then crashed soon after.  I think I could have started a culture going if only I had started aeration on it.

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis - Monday, April 15, 2013 9:20 PM
Bottles of nanno:

The culture not aerated is on the right.

Under the scope:

nrbelk
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis - Monday, April 15, 2013 11:39 PM
What kind of scope lets you take those kind of pictures?

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis - Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:54 AM
It's the "OMAX 40X-1600X Lab LED Binocular Compound Microscope with 1.3MP USB Camera and Double Layer Mechanical Stage."  I got mine from Amazon (It is a bit pricey, but I have been very pleased with the purchase) and so far I really like it.  The camera kit is awesome.  The only problem is my laptop is dying a slow terrible death, so I can't get the images OFF my laptop right now once I take them. So I have to take a picture of the laptop screen using my phone, and that causes a bit of the quality to be lost. 

I didn't use the highest power magnification on the nanno because I spilled the immersion oil and then put the bottle someplace "safe" until I could find a new container to put it in, and now can't remember where that "safe" place was...

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloropsis - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:49 AM
90+ days for this culture.  I still only have two bottles of it, but I am now aerating both bottles.  I debate setting up a third bottle, but it would mean I need to re-work the setup of the phyto station (which I really need to do anyway), but....not sure if that is going to happen.