Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:17 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Isochrysis galbana
Species description:  golden-brown, motile, 1uM wide x 4-8uM long
Culture source (link if possible):  Fellow hobbyist
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  4/18/2013
Continuation Date:  7/24/2013

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.020
Temperature:    Ambient room temp, currently ~72F
pH:  Not measured

Vessel description:  2L soda bottles
Lighting description:  Ambient light from southern facing window supplemented with 2-bulb fluorescent strip light
Lighting cycle:  Sunrise to sunset, strip light is on from 6PM to 9PM
Aeration description:  rolling bubble from rigid airline tubing

Methodologies
Split methodology:  Once culture is dark enough (I don't wait until it is "chocolate brown," I split when it is more of a dark "gold" color) I harvest 2/3 of the bottle and replace with sterilized, fertilized broodstock tank water.  Then changed to using sterilized freshly mixed ASW since it is easier to prepare.

Culture medium description: 
1/2mL of Florida Aqua Farm's Microalgae grow per 1L of sterilized water

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
Water is sterilized using bleach and neutralized using sodium thiosulfate

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by shannpeach on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:48 AM>

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:21 PM
The gold bottle in the center of the picture and the one on the far left are the two T-Iso bottles I currently have. 

I just reworked my culture area a bit and now I can expand the number of T-Iso bottles I have to at least three, possibly four.  This culture was actually started several weeks ago, but I am just getting around to making this culture journal now.  I have some microscope pics from last night, I just need to make sure I put them on my phone and will post them shortly if I have.

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Isochrysis galbana - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:40 AM
90+ days later and I still have the Iso going.  In the summer it seems to be a bit more difficult to maintain, but it's been hanging in there:

I am working on moving all three bottles to the 3L instead of using 2L, but I hate to just buy the water bottles and then waste the water so I need to drink a lot of water before I will have enough bottles.

The only thing I have changed is that usually now I just use freshly mixed ASW instead of re-using broodstock water.  It's more because I have been too lazy to sieve the broodstock water to get rid of the junk and I hate having buckets all over in various stages of phyto water prep.  I still sterilize the freshly mixed ASW using the same method I always have (bleach and sodium thiosulfate).