Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn?

Freddie83
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 74
Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Friday, April 19, 2013 6:34 PM
Has anyone else observed anything like this before? The female is laying the eggs in one spot but the male appears to be fertilizing over a different place... Color me (and him) confused. I'm expecting these eggs to be a total loss.

Click below for the video:

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Friday, April 19, 2013 7:14 PM
I could be way off but this sounds like a classic example of an animal so inbred that basic reproductive ability has been impaired. I'd expect him to get with it eventually but issues regarding breeding are common in designer clowns just because these lines are so genetically isolated after several generations.

This spawn is likely a scratch but give him some time. She'll probably start dropping hints by the third date

Freddie83
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Friday, April 19, 2013 7:22 PM
They've been producing for a few months now with no issues. This is the first time. What signs on the fish show you heavy inbreeding?

joebean
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 357
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Friday, April 19, 2013 7:35 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JoeDigiorgio

I could be way off but this sounds like a classic example of an animal so inbred that basic reproductive ability has been impaired. I'd expect him to get with it eventually but issues regarding breeding are common in designer clowns just because these lines are so genetically isolated after several generations. 

Come on now, it's widely understood that poor rearing conditions is the culprit of deformities and problems in captive bred fish.
Raising the level of nutrition and water quality has a profound impact on the quality of the fish you will get and it will STILL not be anywhere close to what nature provides.

Please leave the genetic BS speech to the designer clownfish haters

joebean
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 357
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Friday, April 19, 2013 7:40 PM
Beside, the snowflake trait is one the purest line coming from a wild normal barred pair. It is also very dominant if you put a snowflake with any kind of normal clown 50%+ snowflakes will come out

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Friday, April 19, 2013 8:04 PM
I'm far from a designer clownfish hater and totally agree that genetics are not to blame for 99% of the issues that they are blamed for but it's hard to argue against the fact that any species of any animal is going to show traits, such as infertility, inconducive to species perpetuation after X amount of generations of line breeding. That's what culling is for, among other things. I don't want to be misunderstood here, I think your fish is very good looking, healthy and a fine example of a designer fish.

All I said, and I mean nothing more than what was said, is that line breeding over many many generations can and does result in a misdirection of basic insticts over time. Here a fish knows the drill, just doesn't always realize he needs to aim a little better. I honestly don't even blame it entirely on genetics, I blame it mostly on the fish not needing to utilize those insticts for so many generations. Everything is done for them and they don't ever have to leave their little flower pots lol Much the same way a behavioral or physical trait can be bred into or out of anything with enough generations, sometimes we don't realize what we're taking away as a side effect. Not a big deal, the fish is and will always be living in captivity where these issue will never matter.

I have no doubt the fish is healthy and fertile, and I even said he would likely figure it out not knowing he was already experienced. Hell, if he wasn't experienced one could easily blame it on young age or inexperience but it isn't.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Friday, April 19, 2013 8:31 PM
I'd say he was just having a bad day. Keep an eye on the eggs and see if they were fertilized. See what happens during the next spawn.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Guerry
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 246
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Saturday, April 20, 2013 9:11 PM
Freddy I told you stop dosing vodka! poor little guy is just a little to tipse to do his thing LOL

Freddie83
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:57 PM
Guerry, the poor guy looks sooo wasted in that video. Just kidding, no vodka dosing for me.

A large percentage of the eggs are still there and coloring quite well, the male is taking good care of them. I've taken a picture of the clutch when it was laid, I will take another one on day 6 to compare.

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Sunday, April 21, 2013 3:58 PM
Typical males.... pssst.
-Adam

Freddie83
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:06 PM
I will be removing the bottom tile once the eggs hatch, that way there will be no more confusion for the little guy.

Freddie83
Re:Male Clownfish fertilizing wrong rock during spawn? - Friday, April 26, 2013 8:38 PM
About 50% of the eggs are still here at day 6 and showing silver eyes.