Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Adults R-51)

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Adults R-51) - Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:55 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Pterapogon kauderni
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  2.5" each
Age of Individuals:  4yr male & 3.5yr female
Date added to Tank: 4/6/2013

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:   90g reef
Substrate Details: DSB (4")
Filtration Details: filter floss sump/refugium w/ macro algae 
Water Changes:  25% biweekly (roughly)  
Water Temperature:  80-82 F
Lighting: Compact fluorescent, dual 150w metal halide lights, and 4x 3w LED royal blue moon lights.  
Lighting Cycle:  Day-on at ~9am, off at ~8pm. Moon- on at 6pm, off 10am. 
Other Tank Inhabitants: clarkii trio 

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  DIY Reef food,  Brine (900 micron and larger/older) through adults (Enriched with nanno/selco). 
Feeding Schedule:  DIY 1-2 daily, Live Brine daily (enriched every other day), and live mysids.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  New pair waiting for spawn.   
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details:  Male has taken to her side frequently if not constantly. She is often 'vibrating' to his side. Close proximity to each other and frequent short bursts of sprints alongside each other down the length of the tank. Have not yet observed an egg transfer.
Egg Size:
Egg Color:  
Egg Count:  

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by jazzybio13 on Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:08 PM>

jazzybio13
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:05 AM
As I have just joined MBI I am back dating this pair's activity as it is ongoing.

After QT the new pair (sexed via vent method, but came from the same place) was introduced to my 75 reef (4/6/2013) and took to each other quickly. Courtship dancing pursued and suspected spawn event (later confirmed) occured on the 12th. However, just over a week I noticed the male hanging in the corner of the tank, mouth still distended (carrying eggs) but his demeanor was completely changed, extremely skittish, bolting from anyone (including the female!) back end has begun to drift upwards (suspected a.b. infection, stress induced?). Checked all tank parameters and they are perfect everyone else was thriving.

4/21/2013 Male with brood found deceased this morning, confirmed egg transfer. Still extremely puzzled as to cause. 

Thank God I have more males! Will give her a few days wait and attempt another pair up. 

jazzybio13
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:12 AM
Ok, 4/23/2013, I have removed female and placed her into a new 20g system along with a (new to her) male, "Roswell" is a 3yr old male who typically doesn't get along with other cardinals (odd ball), but to my amusement and much delight has taken to her almost immediately (maybe she is just feisty enough for him)! Have already seen some positive signs of courtship dances beginning.  

Would love to see this pair work out, this male hasn't readily accepted any females I have tried to pair with him...and I am encouraged by his acceptance thus far! It will be his first go at any sort of friendliness to most any fish, let alone a lady friend!  
<message edited by jazzybio13 on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:10 PM>

jazzybio13
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Friday, May 3, 2013 5:15 PM
Ok, new male is still with her and both are under close watch, both are extremely skittish when I approach the tank. Both take turns 'hiding' at the top of the water column. Her colors are turning pretty dark, wondering what the change is? (any input would be helpful here, maybe stress induced? male picking at her?) Not noticing any aggressive behavior towards each other. Often if not constantly they are side by side swimming next to each other.  Who knows? Maybe this pair wont work after all! 

At least the peppermints are happy and breeding in this tank though! 

jazzybio13
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:27 PM
alright, dud so far... just keeping the journal updated. I have added my breeding ocellaris clowns to their tank as well. clowns, and peppermints are still spawning regularly. 

jazzybio13
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:08 PM
Well these two are now officially a pair. old as dirt, but spawned for me for the first time on 8/22/2013. I was beginning to question my vent sexing skills for a minute there! lol. But there was a successful egg transfer. unfortunately I was working on the tank late last night and apparently it spooked him to bad. He spat out all the eggs and my clarkii's feasted before I could get them out! 

But, at least I have a confirmed male/female pair here. and this male, has been a bully since day one to every fish I have owned so i am super pleased she has held her own with him.