Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 676
Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Friday, May 10, 2013 8:49 AM
So, I have two pairs of spawning dottybacks, P. fridmani and P. aldabraensis.  The neon dotty male eats his egg ball within 10 minutes of spawning, so I never would even have the chance of grabbing it unless I literally catch them in the act (and I have, saw the eggs, went to get my camera for a pic to use as "proof" and by the time I got back he had already eaten them).

Normally, and ideally, incubation would be left up to the male and I would definitely prefer that.  However, the system currently has copper in it, so leaving the eggs is not an option if I want any change at larvae.  
This article (previously linked to by JimWelsh) http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/10/breeder#section-8 states that if eggs are removed shortly after spawn (even if the spawn is in a copper treated system), they develop normally.  

So what has everyone tried for incubation?  What has worked and what hasn't?  This isn't a short egg tumble just before hatch, but actually artificial incubation the entire length of egg development.  Has anyone on here had success with that?  What was done to sterilize the eggs? How often?  I know there is a thread about incubating P. kauderni eggs and some of it may apply here, but I am also hoping for some advice specifically with Pseudochromis eggs...

My first attempt involved a 1L flask wrapped in gray plastic bags (to block some of the light) clamped in a broodstock tank.  The way it was clamped had the flask bottom sort of at an angle. The egg ball was rinsed with aged ASW immediately after being pulled to remove any copper. I sterilized the eggs on Day 1 (the day after they were pulled) for 15 minutes using 5mL of hydrogen peroxide in 1L of aged ASW with gentle tumbling (recommended in Witt's book).  The end of Day 2 showed that only 1/3 of the egg ball was developing. By the beginning of Day 3 the egg mass had begun to significantly break apart. 

My next attempt I will invert a soda bottle and actually black it out with the exception of a small viewing window to see if less light will help.  I think the main issue is likely water flow and water quality which I can also tweak.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Friday, May 10, 2013 10:04 AM
I have had no luck tumbling Orchid Dottyback eggs, or any eggs for that matter.  I tried methylene blue and hydrogen peroxide as dips.  I used air and various containers.  I think the trick is to use water instead of air.  Look on here for a glass (like drinking glass) placed inside a tank method that Matt P posted.  I think he used a wine glass, but any glass with a round bottom (inside) would work.

If the egg ball is breaking apart the tumbling is either too strong or there are many unfertilized/fungus eggs.  Fwiw, I gave up on the tumbling and eventually my male started tending eggs.  Now I can remove the egg ball, look at it, put it back, and he still won't eat it.  I think sometimes we just need to have patience (I'm not good at that part).
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

shannpeach
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Friday, May 10, 2013 10:46 AM
Quote Originally Posted by EasterEggs

If the egg ball is breaking apart the tumbling is either too strong or there are many unfertilized/fungus eggs.  Fwiw, I gave up on the tumbling and eventually my male started tending eggs.  Now I can remove the egg ball, look at it, put it back, and he still won't eat it.  I think sometimes we just need to have patience (I'm not good at that part). 

I think in my first attempt there are too many dead eggs to keep it together.  

Patience isn't going to work in this case unless I just want to write off over a month's worth of eggs.  There is copper in the system so the eggs won't develop past 72 hours if I leave them to the male.  I otherwise would leave them, and think the male (at least the P. fridmani male) would tend them until hatch.  But not really an option here, since I want some larvae to play with

I will look at the wine glass set-up and perhaps try that.

EasterEggs
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:24 AM
Oh I missed the copper part.  I was wondering why you were referencing copper at the beginning.    Why is there copper in the system?  Ich or MV?  Have you considered using Chloroquine phosphate instead?  Much easier to use, and doesn't affect the fish like copper does.  I hate copper, I don't have it in my fish medicine cabinet.

I think Tal might have had some luck tumbling Orchid eggs too, maybe he will chime in.
<message edited by EasterEggs on Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:39 AM>

shannpeach
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:51 AM
Marine velvet. All the fish had been QTed, but I put snails in a single tank system and it came down with MV and killed all three fish and all juveniles in a single tank also. Then, two fish is one tank in the broodstock system died, so there must have been some cross contamination at some point. So I cut off that tank and decided since there weren't inverts in there, I would just treat the system. I did a massive water change, then began copper a week ago.

Do you have any references for the chloroquine phosphate? I would prefer not to do copper if there is something that would be just as effective.

As for my first artificial egg inibation attempt, the egg ball nearly broke apart completely, but I did get about 50 that hatched. Definitely not ideal, and I think they hatched a day early, so I don't know how strong they will be.

fin farm
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 980
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:41 AM
I use this for incubating egg balls. Results have been very good for me using this method.
No air comes into contact with egg ball. Very little air flow is needed to keep the eggs floating between the mesh. The mesh is large enough that the larva can escape out the top after hatching. I use a weak meth blue solution to incubate in

shannpeach
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:57 AM
That looks like a nifty contraption and probably one I could make with stuff I already have lying around. What do you mean by a "weak meth blue solition"? How much methylene blue do you put in to what volume? Is it during the entire incubation period? Have you incubated eggs from spawn to hatch in that? Do you just put the contraption in to the future larvae rearing tank?

fin farm
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 980
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:27 AM
I use it spawn to hatch all the time. Not 100% success, but probably around 75%. I use a 10 g tank to hatch in with 5 drops meth blue. The day of hatch, I will replace 5 g with new water

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:37 PM
I had pretty good luck using water and a submerged flask to incubate egg masses for more than a day: http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?&m=31899&mpage=2

I found if the mass starts to break up I didn't have much luck with many hatching afterward.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

EasterEggs
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by shannpeach
Do you have any references for the chloroquine phosphate? I would prefer not to do copper if there is something that would be just as effective.

Here is a good discussion on CP.  It can be difficult to obtain, it is an anti-malarial drug.  Ordering from an online pharmacy is usually the easiest.
http://www.reefcentral.co...owthread.php?t=2027415

shannpeach
Re:Artificial incubation of dottyback egg balls - Monday, May 13, 2013 9:23 AM
Okay, so my second artificial egg ball incubation is underway utilizing a contraption based on fin farm's:

I essentially just took apart a sponge filter (hydor brand, I think) and used the base and the top airline connection spot.  I had some shade cloth that I used as the bottom mesh and some tulle overlapped on itself a few times for the top mesh.  I wasn't sure if the egg ball would bounce against the top so I wanted to make sure that the holes were too small for eggs to get through.  Turns out that the egg ball doesn't do that so I think one layer would work just as well.  I put them in a 2L water pitcher with two drops of methylene blue overnight.  This morning I took out about 2/3 of the water and replaced it with new water to dilute the meth blue (I was aiming for one drop, got two.  But I have a cold and was too tired last night to deal with it, so it got diluted out this morning instead). The next day or so should be very telling.  So far it seems very gentle; the egg ball just sort of hovers a little bit above the bottom.

As you can see, I also blacked out the 2L pitcher a bit to keep the eggs in the dark. Sort of.