Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:36 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Columbellid cf. euplica
Social Structure:  10 adult snails added
Size of Individuals:  1/2 inch
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  3/29/2013

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  30 gallon biocube; 12 gallon biocube 
Substrate Details:  Sand; bare bottom 
Filtration Details:  canister filter; bioballs
Water Changes:  15% every 2 weeks
Water Temperature:  78-80F usually
Lighting:  LED; CFL 
Lighting Cycle:  10AM to 7PM; 6AM to 8PM
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Hermit crabs; D. lineatus clingfish, A. bicinctus 

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Film Algae
Feeding Schedule:  Always present

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  Many egg packets noticed 5-12-2013, but since there were also juvenile snails present there were spawns before I noticed
Spawn Time of Day:  Unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  not recorded as there are many snails that lay many egg packets
Courtship Details:  None noted
Egg Size:  <1mm
Egg Color:  white in a small clear egg capsule  
Egg Count:  ~4-8 per egg capsule

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  8-11-2013
Hatch Time of Day:  morning
# Days after Spawn:  ~4 weeks
Larvae Description:  crawl away juveniles, hatch fully formed

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  Same as main tank
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Same as adults
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  Hatch as fully formed snails, crawl away
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80F     
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  40 B 
Substrate Details:  bare bottom with seagrass "planter"
Other Tank Decor:  Seagrass planted in a sand filled tupperware container
Filtration Details:  Live rock, live sand
Lighting:  metal halide
Lighting Cycle:  6AM to 9PM
Water Changes:  As needed
Size at Transfer:  3mm-6mm
Age at Transfer:  various ages were moved to track 60 days post settlement

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  Same as adults
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
These are sort of "set it and forget it" type snails...put them in and they do their thing.  

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by shannpeach on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:25 PM>

shannpeach
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:41 AM
A picture of an adult and you can see some blurry egg capsules (sorry for the terrible photos, the iPhone is not so great at taking these sorts of pictures):

More adults cruising around on the glass:

Juvenile and veliger (?) under the microscope:

I essentially just scraped an area and got this juvie and I probably broke open an egg capsule at the same time and got the small veliger in the same shot.  

I will try to get some pictures of the egg capsules, but I can't collect them intact to look at under the microscope and I can't get my phone to focus on something that small on the glass.  I may need to see if I can scrounge up my camera and hope that that works a bit better.

Some more pics under the scope:

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:29 PM
I think the small thing might be a worm. The vellum in this snail is huge. Very apparent. And they've usually closed into the snails' feeding tubes before the juveniles have left the egg packets.

I say usually because I have just started noticing that in special circumstances (not much available food) the mucus plug will break down and come out of the egg packet early, releasing the veligers while they are still planktonic (and can disperse, presumably, to better pastures). I think that's pretty dang cool: A snail with multiple larval development patterns based on environmental cues.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

shannpeach
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica - Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:26 AM
I moved 5 adult snails to the D. lineatus broodstock tank a few days ago.  Here are the chosen adults:

This morning I noticed three egg packets, and just as I hoped, the new tank allowed me to get some better pictures

These were likely laid yesterday, although I can't say for certain they weren't laid the day before that.

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica - Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:13 PM
Yep. Those are nice little egg packets.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

shannpeach
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica - Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:08 AM
Yesterday I went to move a thermometer from the biocube tank, and I realized there were two egg packets on it. One packet was newer, but the other looked like the snails were nearly ready to hatch. You can see the egg packet on the red stripe. There are three snails in there (although it sort of looks like 4, I could only see three when I looked at them under the microscope)

A short video:

Sorry the quality isn't great. My microscope can't take great images of things that large and since the egg packet was on a thermometer, I couldn't light it very well.

This morning I checked it again and sure enough, they had started hatching. Only one was out of the egg packet, and luckily since the packet was on the thermometer, there was no place for it to go really and I could easily find it. I tried to take a couple pictures with my iPhone (which doesn't excel at taking close ups like this)
Here you can see the packet with the two remaining snails on the lower left (by the red stripe) and the newly hatched snail on the upper right.

I also tried to get a pic while in the water. The newly hatched snail is on the lower left, the tiny white blob thing:

I used a razor blade to scrape the new snail and the egg packet off the thermometer to get some pics under the scope. I think I may have killed the hatched one, but the two in the egg packet seemed to survive the scraping.

And a video:

Pure dumb luck allowed me to catch this hatch when I did. The other egg packets I was trying to track that had been laid on the side wall disappeared into hair algae growth since I couldn't really scrape the glass wall.
<message edited by shannpeach on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:00 PM>

shannpeach
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica - Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:44 PM
If I move some of the itty bitty juvenile snails to a specimen container/breeder net/other assorted container for 60 days or so, will that "count" for a 60 day post settlement proof?  The other thing I considered doing was taking some out and putting some nail polish on their shells, but with how many I accidentally siphon out during water changes I think I could still easily lose them...

shannpeach
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica - Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:18 PM
Today I picked about twenty of the juvenile snails from the clingfish broodstock tank and moved them to a new system to track 60 DPS the easiest way I could think of.

Some were super tiny, and some were about half the size of the adults.

shannpeach
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Columbellid cf. euplica - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:56 PM
These have been doing well in the 40B I put them in back in September.  I snapped a pic of one on a piece of seagrass...

This is well past 60 days from when I added the juveniles to this tank