Problem with multiple dismally small hatches

nrbelk
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 216
Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Sunday, June 9, 2013 1:17 PM
This is my third attempt at trying to get my perc clownfish eggs to hatch well and live past their first day.

For the living past their first day, I'm trying to figure out what is the problem still.  When I see one at night after hatch, its swimming in what I assume is a normal manner, hovering about with quick darting movements. But in the morning, if they are not twitching on the bottom, they are swimming erratically.

But first I think I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the hatches themselves.  I put the pot into the fry tank with bubbles touching the eggs (next time I'm going to try bubbles next to but not touching the eggs because I see a lot of unhatched eggs on the bottom of the BRT).  Then I wait until about an hour after lights out to remove the pot after a hopeful hatch.  I come in and see only two fry in the water.  I check the pot and there are lots of eggs still there.  So I leave it in there for another day to repeat the process.  And I come back again to only 1 or two fry and lots of eggs.  

I thought they were all supposed to hatch at once and I could remove the pot and turn down the bubbles.  

Anyone know what could be happening?

Thanks.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Sunday, June 9, 2013 2:56 PM
I tend to think this issue has more to do with the health of the larvae than the hatching process unless you're doing something really wrong. By health I mean, how well the broodstock has been fed prior to spawning.

Another thought, are you constantly checking on the unhatched eggs with a flashlight? That can cause them to not hatch on time.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

nrbelk
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Monday, June 10, 2013 5:42 PM
I checked on the eggs typically once per day with a bright flashlight.

Maybe it is my feeding.  I've been feeding mainly my homemade food that consists of marine fish (this time its red snapper), shrimp, scallops, light dose of squid, clams, and some tablespoons of cyclop eeze.  This is all bound together with food gelatine.  I feed once per day and that might be a contributor to my problem.  I'll start feeding twice per day and see what that does.
How long should I wait between feedings?  Any problems with my listed food ingredients?  How long can I store this food in my freezer before it gets to the point I shouldn't be feeding it to them?

How sensitive are fry/eggs to nitrates/phophates?  I don't really keep up my my broodstock water changes very well either.  My filtration consists of live rock and a filter sock.  Should I change that?

Thanks!

Fishtal
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Monday, June 10, 2013 8:19 PM
Your recipe sounds good but you should feed more often. I feed four times a day, I know other breeders that feed more too. Mine are fed every four hours.

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:32 PM
Also stop checking the eggs with a flashlight.  I forget where I've read it, but exposing eggs to the bright light (when the eyes have developed) has shown to have a negative effect on larvae.  

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:40 AM
I agree with Tal about the feeding.  In my limited experience, my fish have a poor reaction when I change foods or I feed less.  In fact, all my Clownfish skipped 1-2 lays recently because I ran out of homemade food and fed Mysis and Plankton only for 3 weeks, plus I was sometimes only feeding them once per day.  Most of them just laid again this past week, but the spawns are miniscule in comparison.  Food is a big deal in my experience.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

nrbelk
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:23 AM
I've started feeding twice a day.  I'm going to try to figure out if there is a light schedule that will allow me to feed 3 times.  How many hours of light is too long?

Not feeding enough will affect the fry themselves as well?

Fishtal
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:47 PM
Quote Originally Posted by nrbelk

I've started feeding twice a day.  I'm going to try to figure out if there is a light schedule that will allow me to feed 3 times.  How many hours of light is too long?

Not feeding enough will affect the fry themselves as well?

Mine are lit 14hrs. On at 11am, first feeding at noon and every 4hrs after that, lights off at 1am. If your broodstock doesn't get a varied and nutritious diet they won't produce healthy eggs and the larvae will be weak. Multiple smaller meals are better tan one big one.

nrbelk
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:51 PM
Do you use automatic feeders in some way?  I work during office hours so it would be hard to get the schedule right to get three or more feedings in a day.

Fishtal
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:10 PM
Quote Originally Posted by nrbelk

Do you use automatic feeders in some way?  I work during office hours so it would be hard to get the schedule right to get three or more feedings in a day.

I don't use auto feeders because I have 10 broodstock tanks to feed and I'm not buying 10 feeders. You could feed once before going to work, once when you get home and once before bed/lights out if you have your light timed right for that. If you have someone else at home before you you could get another feeding in.  

nrbelk
Re:Problem with multiple dismally small hatches - Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:46 AM
So I've increased my feeding and it seems like the hatching rates are slightly better.  The weren't hatching all at once though so I increased the temperature on the broodstock tank to see if that would help.

But now I'm seeing a lot of the fry (I don't know how many DPH they are since I get small hatches multiple days now) that seem to spin in circles or kind of swim in other crazy, erratic patterns.  Does this mean anything and what needs to be done to fix it?