Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!?

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 274
Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!? - Monday, June 17, 2013 8:47 PM
Please list type of clowns/damsels and what you feed and how often, if you don't mind disclosing you can add your clutch success rates at the end too! I would like to start analyzing different broodstock feeds and try and come up with a good mix and then do an entire nutritional profile on the winning combo.  

Example:

Clarkii clowns: frozen mysis (x2 daily), ocean nutrition pellets (x3 daily), Live brine (x3 weekly). 88% clutch success.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!? - Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:55 PM
All broodstock gets a mix of the following: ON Formula 1, Rod's Original, Breeder and Plankton, blood worms, squid and dried spirulina. Ratio varies by the day but balances out over the week.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

nrbelk
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 216
Re:Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!? - Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:53 PM
My breeding pair of perc clowns were being fed a homemade seafood slurry mix once a day.  Every once in a while their food would be substituted out with a mixture of mysis and spirulina brine shrimp.  Spawned every two weeks but hatch rate and fry survival was low to nill.

I have since increased their feedings to twice a day.  This weeks hatch is the first since the change.  Target feedings is three times a day but haven't changed the light schedule yet.

TanksEveryWhere
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 94
Re:Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!? - Sunday, July 7, 2013 9:01 PM
Rod's herbivore blend 1 to 2X a day and omega 1 marine micro pellets 1 to 2x a day, and sea food slurry 2x a week. I soak something in selcon for them 2x a week also. Hatch rate is still to be determined , though this has defiantly improved the clutch size.  I should include that 2 weeks ago I was only feeding the rod's once a day maybe twice, when they finally laid. Since that first one I have stuck to this feeding schedule and the next clutch was almost 3x the size. Hopefully tonight we will know the hatch rate.

jazzybio13
Re:Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!? - Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:49 PM
Sounds good... thanks for posting guys... I am trying to get a list formed of just what feeds work for different species. Appreciate your input! 

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!? - Monday, July 8, 2013 12:16 PM
I make my own homemade mash which makes up 90% of my fishes' diets.  My Occys spawn 1200+ egg nests, my Darwins spawn 800+ egg nests, my Orchid Dottys spawn 1.5" egg balls.  They usually only get fed twice per day.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

jazzybio13
Re:Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!? - Monday, July 8, 2013 1:43 PM
Easter eggs, whats in your mash?

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!? - Monday, July 8, 2013 2:38 PM
My latest batch was:

White shrimp (shells on) 520g
Wild Pacific salmon 218g
Mussels 211g
Basa Filets 168g
Squid (pineapple cut) 147g
FAF Vitamins 15g
Naturose 15g
Nori (dry) 8g
Selcon 6 mL
Brightwell Aquatics Garlic Extract 2 mL
FAF Gelatin 50g
I try to add Flying Fish roe, but I usually forget to add it.  I make enough food to sell some to local reefers (which covers the cost of ALL the food for me...smrt of me), and I don't want to use the expensive Flying Fish roe in the bags for the reefers, and I always forget to add it to my own bags. 

Check out:  [url=www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?&m=66087]Planning a good homemade recipe - input please![/url]

I think the mussel (or clam), salmon, and squid are all very important in the food for fecundity, but I'm no nutrition expert.  People often tout the clam in the Rod's Foods in reference to broodstock feeds - I have no ideas if those people know what they are talking about or not.  The shrimp shells are important as a source of chitin - I learned the hard way that a lack of chitin causes eggs to fall off the tile.  I don't think the basa or cod filets cover anything that isn't covered by salmon or shrimp...I sometimes wonder why I put it in there.

One other thing, the mussels I use are New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels (which are the only ones easily available to me, and happen to be economically priced woohoo) which have some publicity lately for their Omega-3 anti-inflammatory properties (and other health benefits).  I'm not sure if these particular mussels are particularly good to add to the broodstock diet or not. 
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

jazzybio13
Re:Quick survey here... WHAT DO YOU FEED?!? - Monday, July 8, 2013 5:40 PM
ah yes, thanks eastereggs, I have been reading through that forum thread often these last few days... I am going to do a mix between your's and kathy's for my darwins and see what they think of it. Thanks for posting the info....