A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:07 AM
A rearing system for the culture of ornamentaldecapod crustacean larvae R. Caladoa,*, L. Narcisoa, S. Moraisa, A.L. Rhyneb, J. Linb
http://www.aquariterraneen.fr/PDF_Ricardo_Calado/ngsystemforthecultureofornamentaldecapodcrustaceanlarvae.pdf

I came across a link to this rearing system somehow, and well, what interested me when I saw it is this - to some extent these are not dissimilar from the MacDonald Jars / upwelling incubation devices used to incubate trout eggs and the like...just on a recirculating system.  HMMMMM...  

Eg. - http://www.fishfarmsupply.ca/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FFS&Product_Code=J30&Category_Code=Hatch

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:04 PM
I love that report, and have referred to it lots.  I have all my supplies to build such a system, but I haven't had the time to put it together.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

matt1001
  • Total Posts : 268
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 768
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:47 PM
The link dosent seem to work for me :-(

EasterEggs
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:39 PM
Interestingly, I can no longer find the full report online for free either.  I'm glad I saved it to my computer!

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 853
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:39 PM
Found it!

http://www.pdffiller.com/...-Forms-aquariterraneen

Just hit fill online and it gives you the full article for free, and lets you download it!

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 549
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Monday, March 24, 2014 9:56 AM
I must be missing something about these.  They are cylindri-conical with a bottom drain valve, but otherwise look like any other larval tank.  They have interchangeable mesh screens on the overflow.  The water input is low in the tank to create an upflow instead of dripping water at the surface for agitation of the air/water interface.

What am I missing that makes these so effective?  

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Monday, March 24, 2014 12:20 PM
The cylindri-conical bottom. Regular cones have too sharp of an angle and tend to batter the larvae to death. Also, piping the returns way down to the bottom of the tank to try to set up kreisel-like flow patterns all around the tank. The flow patterns won't be perfect, of course, which allows larvae to kind of pick and choose where they are most comfortable, at least when then get a little older.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

dave w
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Monday, March 24, 2014 2:13 PM
Andy, I see that non-cornered tanks are better than cornered tanks for pelagic larvae that evolved in the open ocean.  But I don't know what you mean by "regular cones have a sharper angles that batter larvae than cylindri-conical"?  Are you talking about 4 piece pyramidal cones made like a brine shrimp hatchery with 4 flat planes made into an upside down pyramid?  When you mention the word "cones" I tend to think of something round, like an upside down orange traffic cone.  My first thought isn't a cone with flat sides and corners.     

Sorry I'm not sure I fully understand what you meant by "cones" but I hope I get it now.  Am I still missing something?  

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Monday, March 24, 2014 2:54 PM
What you want is a cone with a curve. Straight sides make for bad water flow and larvae getting beat on the sides. Like so:

--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

dave w
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:15 AM
Thank you Andy, for the clarification.  Now I see it.  Sometimes a picture is so much simpler.

EasterEggs
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Amphispur

Found it!

http://www.pdffiller.com/...-Forms-aquariterraneen

Just hit fill online and it gives you the full article for free, and lets you download it!

I can't find a way to download it for free.  It wants credit card information and wants to charge me a monthly fee.

ryannterror
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 130
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Monday, June 2, 2014 6:37 PM

M.Arian
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 36
Re:A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae - R. Calado,*, L. Narciso , S. Morais , A.L. Rhyne , J. Lin - Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:59 AM
The flush and filter method they're using to dispose of uneaten food might be applicable to other rearing tanks with larvae that are susceptible to ammonia spikes after feedings.  Using different sized screens to "classify" the culture tank discharge I can see as worth trying out.
-Matt
-Avid supporter of the Laws of Nature-