Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (P2-R&B)

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (P2-R&B) - Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:38 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Pterapogon kauderni
Social Structure:  mated pair (possibly)
Size of Individuals:  1.5" each
Age of Individuals:  8 months
Date added to Tank:  07/14/2013

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  5.5g 
Substrate Details:  bare bottom
Filtration Details:  in tank tetra filter
Water Changes:  as needed (every 3-4 days right now)
Water Temperature:  76
Lighting:  ambient
Lighting Cycle:  ambient
Other Tank Inhabitants:  NONE! THEY ARE IN QUARANTINE!!! 

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  blood worms, frozen mysis, brine (live)
Feeding Schedule:  as often as I walk by the system.... so constantly 

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  unknown (purchased, male holding)
Spawn Time of Day:  unknown (purchased, male holding)
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  unknown (purchased, male holding)
Courtship Details:  unknown (purchased, male holding)
Egg Size:  2-3mm in diameter
Egg Color:  out of the 6 total 3 are pinkish/grey, the other 3 are turning quite silver!
Egg Count:  6 (5 attached, 1 free floating)

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  NOT HATCHED!!!!!! (using egg tumbler to see if these guys will make it)
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  with broodstock, together in QT currently. 
Size of Larval Tank:  5.5g
Substrate Details:  bare bottom
Other Tank Decor:  2 rainbow caves. 
Filtration Details:  in tank tetra filter 
Lighting:  ambient
Lighting Cycle:  ambient
Water Changes:  as needed (currently ever 3 or 4 days) 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  none, still in incubation period...
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by jazzybio13 on Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:35 AM>

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:51 AM

Ok, here are mom and dad (presumably) since they did not spawn in my tanks and I have no proof of this, I can only assume based off of behavior this is the case. 

'she' is guarding and defending him faithfully, eating and is quite shy to my presence. 
'he' is very shy and low to the back of the tank at all times, does not seem tempted to eat in the slightest bit. Get's quite 'shook-up' in my presence... during water change he spat 6 eggs out... great... 

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:53 AM
Since these two are still in quarantine and I can't risk infection of any of my other cardinals (no way BCIV is hitting us again!) then I decided to chance the eggs inside mom and dads same QT tank.... 

A quick DIY water driven jet with adjuster valve plumbed up into a wine glass with 1000ยต mesh rubber-banded to the top. So far it is working well.  

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:08 AM

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:08 AM

Ok, here's the setup as a whole... sorry everythings a mess!

Seems the pump is a bit too strong for mom and dad to handle that much recirculating water. So I stuffed some filter floss down the 1/2" tubing (the main out jet on the pump) to slow it up a bit. Also, not shown in diagram is the control valve. 
<message edited by jazzybio13 on Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:34 AM>

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:09 AM
And of course the eggs too... here's a picture of the eggs in the tumbler! 

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:27 AM
Ok, eggs at 20x magnification. 

and them in a petri dish...  

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:27 PM
video of heartbeat up close! 

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151767172481323" width="1280" height="724" frameborder="0"></iframe>

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:58 AM
well, these guys mysteriously got out of the egg tumbler and I saw daddy snatch up the last one ... lol. guess he was hungry? lol. well, no matter any how, these two are in QT and I didnt really want to deal with QT a round of babies as well. 

Seeing some increased interest in spawning (more mating behavior these last two days)....maybe a clutch is just around the corner? This pair will be moved to their new home within the next week though, so... maybe I'll just strip him if he decides to spawn before the move. 

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Friday, August 16, 2013 1:36 AM
Alrighty! finally just before I moved them into their new homes they spawn and he's now on day 2 carrying. Woop woop! I may keep them in their QT just so I can see if he'll carry to full term or not, as this will be his first spawn and carry in my possession. 

Funny, since they have to be separate from the rest of my broodstock right now... they've been poorly attended to. Their tank has been on the floor tucked behind some boxes (aka, tucked away from the 1 yr old), once a day feeding of DIY meat mash and not much else attention, the tank isn't even got a full 5 gallons in it! lol. But hey, I guess display tank, sump, or half hidden 10g tank on the floor....there's no stopping mother nature!

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:11 PM
still holding. day 10.  

jazzybio13
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Jv. #2) - Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:11 PM
still holding. day 10.