Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 853
Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:41 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Tigriopus californicus
Species description:  Large Red Copepods 250-1700 µm

Culture source (link if possible):  Reef Nutrition, http://reefnutrition.com/tigger_pods.php
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  24 July, 2013
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.023
Temperature: Ambient, around 72°F
pH:  Not Measured

Vessel description:  1.4 Gallon Better Homes and Gardens Container
Lighting description:  Ambient, Sunlight
Lighting cycle:  Sunlight
Aeration description:  airline at a bubble per second

Methodologies
Split methodology:

Culture medium description: 

Various Experiments with Isocrysis Galbana (see notes below), and 1 Drop of RG Complete a day
Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
This shall be an experimental culture to see how various amounts of algae can do to the culture. I will be setting up two of these cultures side by side with two seperate amounts of Isocrysis, and the one drop of RG Complete. After the 8 day period in which a true density can be taken (the starvation period has passed) I will measure the density and whichever method works best, I will use that mixture and add Tetraselmis.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by Amphispur on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:31 PM>

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:30 PM
As stated above, my first try will be an experimental test, to see which amount of Isocrysis algae, at a density of 7.2 million cells per ml, mixed in with a drop of RG Complete will include the best results. My first amount that I will be trying is 10 ml of live Iso a day, at this density would be around 72 Million cells of Iso. The second amount that I will be testing is 20 ml of Iso a day, which would be around 144 Million cells of Iso. 

Here is the starter container:

And here is an adult:

<message edited by Amphispur on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:51 PM>

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:14 PM
Here is the culture setup:

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:19 PM
I'm digging those containers....!!!!

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:37 PM
Thanks! They are pretty small and cheap and wanna try these out, then go to the 5g buckets if all else fails!

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:15 PM
where did you get them?

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:17 PM
Walmart lol

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:11 AM
update? what food are you going with now?

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:17 AM
I'm going with Isocrysis and RGComplete, I didn't see a noticeable difference between the two feedings, so I will just be sticking in a little iso a day. Another possibility is that there wasn't ENOUGH isocrysis and they were just eating the RG.

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:31 AM
live iso or paste?

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:47 AM
Live

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:48 AM
Nice!

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Sunday, September 1, 2013 12:30 PM
Well, thought it would be time to update this again, so I'm doing weekly sieving in both containers (I'm still using the experimental containers, great space savers!!) in a 108 micron mesh, with around 30-40 adults in both containers. I've else been feeding them a little differently, I'm doing 5 drops of the RG, 5 drops of live Isocrysis, and 5 drops of live tetraselmis.

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, January 4, 2014 10:06 AM
I am currently still culturing these, I will look under the microscope for proof but they are culturing side by side with my Tisbe culture in a 20g long aquarium, also it is fed RG Complete at the moment, enough to tint the water green.

Zigzag
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 68
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, January 4, 2014 12:22 PM
I remember reading somewhere that someone was culturing Tigger-pods and added Mysis shrimp water into their culture containers and they soon had a population boom.

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tigriopus californicus - Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:36 PM
That's interesting! I like my 20g method because, although I use a fair amount of RG Complete nowadays, the pod population of the tisbe/tigger is ENORMOUS. I'll have to try that mysis shrimp idea though, I've been wanting to culture them just wasn't sure how I should attempt them