Why is Artemia franciscana (GSL-brine) not an FC1??

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 274
Why is Artemia franciscana (GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Monday, August 19, 2013 4:23 AM
Ok, I know many people simply hatch out the new eggs/cysts... and move on. By why is Artemia franciscana (brine shrimp from GSL) not a FC1? It's currently an FC0 which no points are awarded to, even for continuous cultures? (or am I totally reading this wrong?)... Just curious why this is so. Because I have some very picky Banggai's who would not breed if I did not culture live feeds for them brine, mysids, and T. californicus. My other cultures count...and this one doesn't? What gives? People ask me all the time how to do it, and plenty try their hand at it... why no points? 

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
<message edited by jazzybio13 on Monday, August 19, 2013 5:02 PM>

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Monday, August 19, 2013 12:57 PM
Because brine shrimp require little or no effort to raise. Add water and that's about it.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Monday, August 19, 2013 1:35 PM
And yet to raise them to adults is trickier. Jaz has a point.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Monday, August 19, 2013 1:39 PM
Trickier how? Ever heard of Sea Monkeys? I don't mean to be snippy but if a kid can grow them in a small plastic container on the counter top with no problem I don't consider them at all difficult.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

jazzybio13
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Monday, August 19, 2013 2:08 PM
... no need to apologize Tal, I think the 'trickier' part comes into growing them out to adult in the densities we need to grow them at to be an actually useful culture for us? Mine require maintenance just like all my other cultures. 

unfortunately the kids that raise these little guys aren't cranking them out as feeders and needing a couple hundred a week. you know?

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Monday, August 19, 2013 3:53 PM
continuous cultures of artemia are much harder to maintain at density then you'd expect Tal.  They are dirty, eat a lot and consume a lot of O2.

jazzybio13
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Monday, August 19, 2013 4:08 PM
AMEN Gresham!!! That's why I was kind of blown away when I filled a report and it said 0 points.. I was like what... my rotifers are easier than these guys! lol 

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Monday, August 19, 2013 10:50 PM
I have tried more than once to raise them to adult size, I get maybe a couple dozen in 5 gallons.  Much tougher than rotifers IMO.  Rotifers are bulletproof.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:08 AM
I'm guessing that the FC level was determined merely by the difficulty to get them from cyst to nauplius, and not to adult.  Producing Artemia nauplii from cysts is extraordinarily easy to do.

jazzybio13
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:50 AM
I would agree that is it extremely easy to do only that. But I guess in my mind that is NOT a culture, that is simply hatching out and feeding a food source. A temporary live feed which is at most in kept live for a week. I guess that in my mind is the equivalent to ordering mysids and keeping them alive for a week so that you get a finicky fish to eat...then saying I established a culture.. when in fact, you just feed your choice of live food to your fish! 

However, when you 'establish' and achieve 'continuation' of a culture, that is a whole different ball game. That is actually quite the chore, and every bit as much a culture as rotifers, various pods, or algae's. 

Just saying I think it should be noted, and reviewed. There are plenty of folks out there who have tried and have not been able to keep a culture of these for any extended period of time. Just saying it should have a looksee!  

GreshamH
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:04 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JimWelsh

I'm guessing that the FC level was determined merely by the difficulty to get them from cyst to nauplius, and not to adult.  Producing Artemia nauplii from cysts is extraordinarily easy to do.

True, but that as Jazzy said, is not really culturing them.  Do you grow your rotifers from cyst to size, then batch harvest and start all over with cysts? Do you do that with copepods?  Nope.

jazzybio13
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:26 AM
Gresh, that just made me laugh... to think of all that work.... rotifers from cyst to size...feed and repeat... yuck... lol. had to laugh at the idea of that.  

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:53 AM
Making some good points, although I maintained a rather productive brine shrimp colony for a year in a gallon milk jug on a semi-sunny windowsill with nothing more than an air feed and occasional feedings of phytoplex...at least I *think* that's what I was using.  I was maybe 14 at the time....it's been a long time...

If you feel you have sufficient grounds to back up a challenge to the FC0 rating for brine shrimp, I'd invite you to submit a challenge for this and any other Artemia sp. in the system here:
http://www.mbisite.org/ClassReq.aspx 

Wise to really hash it out in public first as you're doing... 

jazzybio13
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:15 PM
Thanks Matt... i'll put one in now.

GreshamH
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:52 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Making some good points, although I maintained a rather productive brine shrimp colony for a year in a gallon milk jug on a semi-sunny windowsill with nothing more than an air feed and occasional feedings of phytoplex...at least I *think* that's what I was using.  I was maybe 14 at the time....it's been a long time...

If you feel you have sufficient grounds to back up a challenge to the FC0 rating for brine shrimp, I'd invite you to submit a challenge for this and any other Artemia sp. in the system here:
http://www.mbisite.org/ClassReq.aspx 

Wise to really hash it out in public first as you're doing... 

Hmmm unless you are pretty dang young now, you were not feeding Phytoplex when you were 14.  Kent Marine is only like 15 years old.

jazzybio13
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:58 PM
lol... eitheway. I put in a challenge for it to be bumped up to an FC1. We will see what the mods do from there. 

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by GreshamH

Hmmm unless you are pretty dang young now, you were not feeding Phytoplex when you were 14.  Kent Marine is only like 15 years old.

I'm not that young, but not old either.  Young side of middle, and alive 8 years longer already than I thought I'd be  Let's put it this way - bleached coral tanks were the norm when I was rearing brine shrimp.  Maybe I was feeding some sort of powdered food....or was there an "algae" product before Phytoplex?  It was a LONG time ago. (20++ years).

Matt 

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Why is Artemia franciscana GSL-brine) not an FC1?? - Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:09 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

...  Young side of middle, and alive 8 years longer already than I thought I'd be  ...

OMG, one wonders what made you think THAT...
I think of you as veery young, at least compared to meā€¦and I'm not ready to kick the bucket any time soon, despite being older than dirt.

check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)