Black Clarkii Melanistic vs. another clarkii or a different variety?????

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 274
Black Clarkii Melanistic vs. another clarkii or a different variety????? - Monday, August 19, 2013 5:49 AM
Ok, I need to write up my spawning/hatch journals and I want to be sure to get this written up right, and it is kind of bugging me that I am not 100% confidant in this. So, tell me what you guys think?

Here is the trio I am working with. The two larger ones (presumably simply A.clarkii?) are the mated pair... then you have ding bat over here trying to spawn with the her... he looks different to me though. I believe he is a 'Black Clarkii' the Melanistic variety...  I keep getting mixed reviews about what the Melanistic variety actually looks like. I get photo's that look like my pair, then others that look straight up like this 3rd wheel, so I am not sure I know what the Melanistic is supposed to look like?

From what I have seen in a bunch of pictures the mated pair don't quite look like the 'yellow' clarkii's... but what are they called then? just clarkii?

Here's the pictures I have on hand, let me know what you think. I can get better shots later if need be. 

*Note the smallest one has a SOLID yellow tail, and the other two have a split tail (yellow on top and bottom, white in the middle).

**Little guy is on the far right! 

What do you guys think? both are Carkii's, just one is A. clarkii and the other is A. clarkii (Melanistic variety). 

?? Let me know, or point me to a great in a great direction for a key! 

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Black Clarkii Melanistic vs. another clarkii or a different variety????? - Monday, August 19, 2013 8:07 AM
The Clarkii Complex is way too complex (haha) for me to figure out, but I'm interested to hear the answer because "ding bat" looks like my Picasso Clarkii that are from Bali Aquarich which from my understanding are Indian Ocean Clarkii.  Where are yours from?
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

jazzybio13
Re:Black Clarkii Melanistic vs. another clarkii or a different variety????? - Monday, August 19, 2013 12:51 PM
Amen to that! This complex does take to just that! I was told their from the Maldives off the solomon islands from their previous owners. When you search around for those fish...I'd say they look pretty dang close as well!  

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?c=720&pCatId=103 maldives clarkii picture

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clownfis.htm pretty good 'write-up'on clowns... not quite enough though.  

The biggest hook up I have with these identifying these guys are their tales. Maybe I'm caught up on something that's really nothing. (jv. vs adult?) But they look very different to me. Tails are split colors in the larger two, while the 3rd is solid yellow. 

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Black Clarkii Melanistic vs. another clarkii or a different variety????? - Monday, August 19, 2013 6:14 PM
There's something like dozens of geographic variants of "Clarkii", some of which are definitely NOT clarkii but are probably new species in need of some serious investigation."

I would pull dingbat - he looks like a different variety of clarkii than the other two, and he does look more like a melanistic form whereas the others look like regular clarkii, just "dark".  Remember, even within a geographic locality you can have both melanistic and normal forms and it has to do with the species of anemone they reside in!  And yes, that can change too with a host change. 

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 1003
Re:Black Clarkii Melanistic vs. another clarkii or a different variety????? - Monday, August 19, 2013 10:27 PM
I also "think" the smaller one is a different variety as Matt said.
I'd keep him with the pair, is the pair can accept his existance. lol That would probably keep him at the male/undefined stage and you would have a better chance to find him a mate no matter the sex of the other fish you buy.
All melanistic clarkiis that I've seen at the local fish store in Brazil have a white tail like the Phillipines variety and I find this yellow tail just as pretty.
Fishbase has some pics of different collors http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=5448

Anderson.

jazzybio13
Re:Black Clarkii Melanistic vs. another clarkii or a different variety????? - Saturday, October 5, 2013 1:07 PM
well little oddball trio has been kicked out of the trio (as was fortold).... I knew it was coming though. lol. 

I was able to get some good pics of him and find a pretty spot on match online at ibluewater.com I am thinking he is a melanistic for sure. 

Here is my little guy:

and here is the pair off of ibluewater.com 

I'd say that's a pretty close match, huh?

jazzybio13
Re:Black Clarkii Melanistic vs. another clarkii or a different variety????? - Saturday, October 5, 2013 1:48 PM