Length of time that banggai's are reproductively capable?

joel1234567
  • Total Posts : 137
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 129
Length of time that banggai's are reproductively capable? - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:58 AM
I paired up four pairs of young banggai card's towards the end of last year. After a couple of months together they were spawning regularly- but then it slowed, and finally it stopped. It seems like they only spawned for about 6 or 7 months before stopping. I'm wondering if this is normal, or if possibly other forces are at work (poor tank conditions, poor diet, they are bored with each other, etc). Anyone have any insight on if this might be normal?
<message edited by joel1234567 on Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:45 PM>
"If everything is going good, you've obviously overlooked something."- Martin Moe, Jr

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Length of time that banggai's are reporductively capable? - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:30 AM
My impressions are that most will spawn for a couple years.

What condition are the males in?

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Length of time that banggai's are reporductively capable? - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:23 PM
I have breeders that top out at about 3.5-4 years old. They should breed for a while though! 6- months I'd look at other factors! 

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Length of time that banggai's are reporductively capable? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:43 AM
2 is the average, but I think I've seen up to 4.  I too would look at other factors...diet being one of my primary ones based on my ongoing experiences.

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Length of time that banggai's are reporductively capable? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:25 AM
+1 on diet...

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Length of time that banggai's are reporductively capable? - Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:54 AM
Quote Originally Posted by jazzybio13

+1 on diet...

Which leads me to ask (since I don't see it above) - what is the feeding regime currently?

joel1234567
  • Total Posts : 137
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 129
Re:Length of time that banggai's are reporductively capable? - Sunday, August 25, 2013 7:18 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. Sorry for the delay in getting back, I didn't realize anyone had responded.

The diet when they were spawning consisted of primarily PE Mysis, generally once per day all that they could eat, but sometimes mixed in with a second daily feeding of Hikari frozen mysis or Hikari frozen brine. I was continuing this same diet when they stopped spawning. Currently I feed once daily all they can eat a blend of PE Mysis, Hikari frozen brine, mysis, and mega-marine.

I know this sounds a little crazy... but a while back, around when they stopped spawning, I saw a weird mass coming out of one female. It looked like she had a bloody egg mass, with 3 or 4 eggs stuck in it, and like it was stuck coming out. It was there for a couple days and turned gray and fuzzy and then fell off. Then a couple of weeks later the same thing happened on another of my females. Like I said it probably sounds crazy but I'm guessing no one has seen anything like this?

Any recommendations on a new feeding regimen? Twice daily with Selcon soaked scallop and frozen foods? I'm not sure why my regimen was semi-successful but then stopped altogether. Perhaps that's an indication that I need to get my tank in better shape.
"If everything is going good, you've obviously overlooked something."- Martin Moe, Jr