Culture Journal, Species: Brachonius rotundiformis (S strain rotifers)

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Culture Journal, Species: Brachonius rotundiformis (S strain rotifers) - Friday, September 6, 2013 8:56 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Brachonius rotundiformis 
Species description:  S strain rotifers
Culture source (link if possible):  Seahorse source http://www.seahorsesource.com/cgi-bin/shop/detail.cgi?id=201140
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  9-5-2013
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  ~1.022 but plan to lower it 
Temperature:    Room temperature (70-80F)
pH:  Not Measured

Vessel description:  1 L bottle to start, moved to one gallon container once established 
Lighting description:  Ambient light from southern facing window, supplemented by 2-bulb fluorescent strip light.  Will move to the rotifer culture area once the culture is more established, which has a 2 bulb fluorescent strip light only.
Lighting cycle:  6 AM to 9 PM
Aeration description:  Rigid airline, enough aeration to provide constant movement, but not a "rolling boil"

Methodologies
Split methodology: Approximately once or twice a week 75-90% of the culture is dumped out and new, sterilized ASW is added. The entire culture is moved to a new/sterilized container once every two or three weeks

Culture medium description:  Culture is fed live phyto (Nannochloropsis, Tetraselmis, Isochrysis, Rhodomonas, or Chaetoceros) or roti-rich (Florida Aqua Farms) once or twice daily (twice daily if the rotifer density is high) enough to tint the water slightly

Cell count: Not counted
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by shannpeach on Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:12 AM>

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachonius rotundiformis (S strain rotifers) - Friday, September 6, 2013 9:13 AM
Original packaging:

In the first container:

I will try to get some microscope pics tonight.  Yesterday I brought the volume of the starter up to about 400mL from ~250mL.  I feed a small amount of nanno and tetraselmis mix last night and again this morning.  

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachonius rotundiformis (S strain rotifers) - Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:32 PM
Finally got around to some microscope pics. I let the culture get a bit gross this week so they aren't in the best shape, but should bounce back soon since I moved them to a clean container with new water