Surprise the babies are here!

DrDon
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 38
Surprise the babies are here! - Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:28 PM
After attending this years MBI Workshop I wanted to give breeding fish a try.  I have tried quite a few things around the marine hobby but this one seemed like a significant step and wanted to get into it sloooowly.  

My plan and the plan of my Cardinal's did not seem to match but as you will see shortly they won.  I have three Bangaii Cardinals in my display tank (for those of you worried about them one lives on one side of a 125 gallon tank and has been there for more than six months).   I noticed that the male was holding eggs in his mouth.  

The challenge with the male holding at this moment was that I was due to leave for vacation (Tal sound familiar?).  After I returned from vacation I had thought that the eggs, larvae and baby fish were now gone.  Most likely eaten by something in my tank.  Much to my surprise I found two tiny little babies in my sump right next to the main pump return.

I moved them out to a mesh cage that is housed in one of my newly constructed breeding tanks.  
This is right after capture:

They are eating mostly enriched bbs and I am now trying to give them a little TDO B1 and see a little activity when feeding it so may continue.  I would welcome any other suggestions as well.  

This is 10 days later:

I am learning quite a bit and know that I have a long way to go.  My next step in the next couple of weeks will be to move my existing Cardinals from the display down to the breeding system so that if this happens in the future I should be easier for me to intervene.  

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Surprise the babies are here! - Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:41 PM
LOL, that does sound familiar. I've heard of people having success transitioning to TDO by adding a little flow when feeding to simulate food movement.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Surprise the babies are here! - Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:48 PM
yeah I would definitely add flow if your going to try and ween them to TDO... It seems they have to have that prey start response to feed (at least learning it) until they know the scent of it. good luck, good looking little cuties!