Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type rotifer)

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type rotifer) - Friday, September 20, 2013 8:33 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type rotifer)
Species description: small strain of rotifers (90-150 µm in size)  Culture source (link if possible):  http://www.reedmariculture.com/product_instant_zooplankton.php#rotifers
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  Sept. 10th, 2013 (09-10-2013)
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.023
Temperature:    ~74 F
pH:  8.2

Vessel description:  5g buckets. 1 5g bucket with compact culture kit from reed mariculture, one with DIY version of cck.
Lighting description:  none
Lighting cycle:  none
Aeration description:  vigorous rolling of air bubles on single line, with glass/silicate airstone. 

Methodologies
Split methodology: once ever few days grab a small bucket of culture water and critters and use for feed off, otherwise let run until weekly culture split of 30%keep, 70% toss (or use)

Culture medium description: 
Rotigrow Plus 1-2ml every other day or so

Cell count: not known right now, need to do a count. 
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type rotifer) - Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:56 AM
Reed mariculture has just started carrying s rotifers at their facility... I just recieved a shipment from them! and am going to get their culture's up and running! 

<message edited by jazzybio13 on Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:08 AM>

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type rotifer) - Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:59 AM

Ok here are the S rotifer cultures... I have since moved the L rotifers into a new "kitchen cabinet" and let the S rotifers take over the toy box so the two could be separated by both distance and lids/doors! I don't really want these cultures to cross contaminate!  

the above photo is BEFORE a feeding. Below is AFTER a feeding!  

You can really see the difference in the left culture's cleanliness than the rights... the left one is ran off of a reed mariculture compact culture kit, and the right is not...  mmmm... I'm not their spokeswomen or anything... BUT... I think this pictures worth a thousand words.... 

oh and the big clear jug in the back is my back up culture, NO airline, nothing... just an occasional drop of rotigrow plus. (usually once a week or so). the two large 5g buckets are at about 1mL every other day... and I have plenty to spare.  

Daily (or every other day) rinsing of the mesh on the cck, and a split and a 100% water change on the cultures (tossing out or using up to 70%, and only keeping around 30%) once every week or every 2 weeks is how I am doing these guys... 

I AM NOT WORKING WITH MY S AND L ROTIFERS ON THE SAME DAY....TO KEEP FROM CROSS CONTAMINATION. 

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type rotifer) - Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:58 AM
Still doing good, just thought I would mention I did a large 70-80% harvest on both buckets and restarted them with 100% clean water today, and a good healthy feeding. maintenance, maintenance...  

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type rotifer) - Monday, October 21, 2013 12:26 AM
Well, crashed one of the buckets (due to lack of attention) 

But the other bucket, and my back up's still going strong.  

Just updating. 

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (S-type rotifer) - Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:13 AM
Still going strong. I've since moved away from the 5g buckets (only have one going) and now do multiple one gallon plastic jugs (from walmart) that seem to be working nicely and do well for having lots of back ups too. 

I have also put these into a cabinet along with the rest of my cultures so the temperature stays a little warmer. Pictures soon.