Culture Journal, Species: Gammarideus cf.

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 853
Culture Journal, Species: Gammarideus cf. - Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:06 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Gammarideus cf. 
Species description:  Large Amphipod
Culture source (link if possible):  Sump tank
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  22 September 2013
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:   1.023 
Temperature:    Ambient, around 72°F to 78°F
pH:  Not Measured

Vessel description:  1.4 Gallon Better Homes and Gardens Container 
Lighting description:  Ambient, sunlight
Lighting cycle:  Sunlight
Aeration description:  Mild aeration, few bubbles per second

Methodologies
Split methodology:

Culture medium description: 
See Journal

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

As far as I'ding the species goes, it is going off of what JRC (Joe) went for another pod Id, here is the link:
http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=78058&high=Amphipod

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by Amphispur on Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:22 AM>

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Gammarideus cf. - Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:29 AM
First off, this is a pure experimental culture, unless research finds me evidence otherwise. The idea came from a friend who said he prefered buying amphipods from me over copepods mainly for the sake of how he could see them, so now we are here! I haven't found too much scientific info on culturing amphipods at all, but I do that their basic neccessities usually like around detritus, copepods, and anything they can get their hands on. When I feed my 150 reef, I usually just drop flake into the left chaimber of the sump and let the pump bring the food up for them. Well a few weeks ago I found copepods in there, which leads to a hypothesis of that they are eating the leftover flakes, which is one of the types of habits they are known for.

Using that information, I will be starting an experimental culture that has only flake food in it at the start, then eventually depending on how that goes, I will be trying pellet. As far as ID'ing these guys, I went off of what Joe (JRC) did on bigbill's pod ID thread located here: http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=78058&high=Amphipod

<message edited by Amphispur on Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:20 PM>

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Gammarideus cf. - Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:47 AM

Amphispur
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Gammarideus cf. - Monday, September 23, 2013 1:43 PM
After doing a bit more research as to how others culture their Amphipods, specifically this species, I will be doing this culture a tad differently. I will be setting up a 20 gallon, with a filter, "tube" lights (t5's) and a heater. I will be collecting macro algae from my sump tank in the 150 gallon reef, and letting that tank sit for a week or two then adding the amphipods

THEJRC
  • Total Posts : 1006
  • Reward points : 555
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Gammarideus cf. - Monday, September 23, 2013 3:00 PM
Zach....
Might be worth running that Gammarid through the Intkey system for a full species ID
http://delta-intkey.com/

try it you'll like it :p
(and off I slink back into hiding)
Pelagically yours,
~J