Galaxy Clarkii from Aquarich

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Galaxy Clarkii from Aquarich - Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:45 PM
Does anyone know of anyone with a spawning pair of Galaxy or Meteor Clarkii from Aquarich??  Also mis-named Picasso Clarkii by some people.  Not to be confused with Spotcintus.

I ask because I have two pairs that "should" be spawning long, long ago.  One (3 year old) pair has been tile cleaning for almost two YEARS and the other (2 year old) pair has been tile cleaning for almost one year.  Kinda makes me wonder if something is up with these fish...??
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

EasterEggs
Re:Galaxy Clarkii from Aquarich - Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:58 PM
Any thoughts?

DSpate
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 173
Re:Galaxy Clarkii from Aquarich - Friday, November 8, 2013 10:32 PM
Not sure if this is something that should be done with them.. but try swapping females?

EasterEggs
Re:Galaxy Clarkii from Aquarich - Monday, November 25, 2013 6:35 PM
Thanks Dustin.  I'm more interested to hear if anyone else has
managed to get these fish spawning.

GinaReef
  • Total Posts : 225
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 470
Re:Galaxy Clarkii from Aquarich - Monday, November 25, 2013 11:11 PM
You could try egg fostering.  If you can afford to sacrifice the spawn from another pair, put it into there tank.  Some breeders have found it to jump start the spawning behavior.  The risk is that they may not know what to do with the eggs and they perish, or, they just eat them...

EasterEggs
Re:Galaxy Clarkii from Aquarich - Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:34 PM
Hi Gina, yeah the female eats the foster eggs.  The male is keen though.  I did try switching females, but the fish wouldn't bond with each other.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem genetically/ hormonally (or what have you) that is preventing the females from spawning.

EasterEggs
Re:Galaxy Clarkii from Aquarich - Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:24 PM
Well, I was just doing waterchanges and figured what the heck and moved the Onyx eggs into the Clarkii tank.  They've been in there an hour and so far the female is just cleaning the eggs.  She's cleaning very roughly, but she's not ripping them off - yet.  She chases the male away though, and I haven't seen him show any interest in the eggs.  This is the third time in the last 6 months that I've tried egg fostering with them.   This pair is now a little over 2 years old, so they should be ready.

On the other hand, something went amiss in a quarantine tank that I was holding my second Galaxy Clarkii pair in and they both suddenly died.  There was a Chocolate Chip Starfish in with them waiting to go visit my Harlequin Shrimp.  I think the Starfish kicked the bucket and spiked ammonia.  Ugh. 

EasterEggs
Re:Galaxy Clarkii from Aquarich - Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:25 PM
Well, she did eventually eat all the eggs within a few hours, but she was cleaning them at first, so maybe we're getting somewhere...