Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake)

Mr Cob
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Reward points : 127
Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Friday, November 22, 2013 9:47 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Premnas biaculeatus  (White Stripe F0 female x Goldflake FEA male)
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  5" female / 2" male
Age of Individuals:  ?
Date added to Tank:  I brought the female in 07/02/2013 with a male gold stripe and I split them up and added my Goldflake FEA male on 08/?/2013  (originally I thought the FEA one was a female, was pleased when I had my doubts and discovered that she was actually still a "he") .

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  40g (4 stalls) 36" x 18" x 16"
Substrate Details:  Bare Bottom
Filtration Details:  UV, Skimmer, Carbon & Phosphate pads, Deep Sand Bed refugium with Macro/Live Rock
Water Changes:  10-20% weekly
Water Temperature:  82.9 F
Lighting:  T5, 10k and actinic bulb and fuge light on 24-7
Lighting Cycle:  12 hr light cycle
Other Tank Inhabitants:  4 broodstock pairs total, each in their own stall

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rod's Original, Frozen Brine, Oto pellets, Mixed flake high in protein
Feeding Schedule:  I feed every time I look at the tank, 4-8 times a day during the main light cycle

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  10/16/2013
Spawn Time of Day:  6:30pm - 7:30pm (takes about an hour for her to lay the entire nest)
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  10/16/2013, 11/05/2013, 11/22/2013, 12/06/2013, 12/22/2013
Courtship Details:  Her ovipositor is out the evening she lays
Egg Size:  3mm
Egg Color:  orange and after showing signs of being fertilized (2 days) they become dark orange almost black
Egg Count:  2k-3k

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  12/11/2013
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  81.5 F
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Mr Cob on Wednesday, December 25, 2013 8:53 PM>

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Friday, November 22, 2013 9:54 PM
Pic from when we brought the female in on 07/02/2013 (purchased from another breeder as a wild caught spawning female and captive bred male)

Pic from when we brought the male in on 07/13/2013 (purchased from LFS as a FEA Maroon Goldflake, they thought he was a female)

Spawn #1 10/16/2013 

Spawn #2 11/05/2013 

Spawn #3 11/22/2013

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Friday, November 22, 2013 10:00 PM
For tonight's spawn I was in a hurry while feeding and ended up interrupting them in the middle of their spawn.  You can see some frozen brine floating around and the male darting out to eat.  Normally I'm more careful and check all the pairs to see what's going on before messing around with the tanks.

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Sunday, November 24, 2013 11:46 PM
Well, looks like the male did his job and fertilized the eggs.  About half of the eggs remain and the male seems to be doing a much better job caring for the eggs as compared to the previous two spawns.

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:31 PM
Only 5 eggs left from the 11/22/2013 spawn, looks like I won't be collecting for probably a few more nests until they get more viable eggs.  The male has done a great job on this 3rd nest by staying in the pot and caring for the nest. 
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Chelle's Ocean
  • Total Posts : 399
  • Reward points : 242
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:09 PM
Very nice looking pair
Michelle  

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Monday, December 2, 2013 3:13 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Chelle's Ocean

Very nice looking pair

thank you, have not hatched any yet but getting close

-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Friday, December 6, 2013 11:01 PM
Spawn #4 for the white stripe and gold flake maroon breeder pair. This clownfish lays down some huge nests!

-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Monday, December 9, 2013 10:18 AM
Vid of spawn #4 on 12/06/2013

-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:03 AM
Nest is hatching right now. I pulled the pot a little before midnight.
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:24 PM
Maroon larvae hatching the other night on the 11th : )

-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

GinaReef
  • Total Posts : 225
  • Reward points : 470
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:23 PM
Are you having trouble with them hatching because the light is on?
I've never seen them hatch becquse I'm afraid to use a light.

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Friday, December 13, 2013 10:48 AM
Hi Gina, I did not have any trouble with them hatching due to the light.  I typically will leave a pot in complete darkness over night and begin to introduce light the next morning.  The light you see in the video is my camera light on my cell phone.  I was being nosey and wanted to see what was going on in their and decided to catch a short vid.  This was after half the nest had already hatched.
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (White Stripe x Goldflake) - Wednesday, December 25, 2013 9:45 PM
  • nest 4 that hatched on the 11th has died off - wasn't really expecting them to make it that long, they all looked weak
  • nest 5 was laid on the 22nd and they were completely eaten by the 24th - the eggs were fertilized but were tiny tiny tiny.. non viable (I have no speculations as to why)
  • nest 6 - expecting in about 15-17 days from the 22nd, hoping for a much stronger nest
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com