Breeding Journal, Species: Lybia tessellata (Pom Pom crab)

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Breeding Journal, Species: Lybia tessellata (Pom Pom crab) - Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:50 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Lybia tessellata
Social Structure:  Multiple individuals in the tank
Size of Individuals:  ~1 inch carapace width
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  Three added around September 2013, but one died when I accidentally siphoned it out during a water change (it had just molted).  Third was purchased in Early December 2013 with a large batch of eggs

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  12 gallon biocube
Substrate Details:  None
Filtration Details:  Sponge filter
Water Changes:  ~25-50% once a week or every two weeks
Water Temperature:  ~80 F
Lighting:  CFL
Lighting Cycle:  6AM to 9PM
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Yellow stripe clingfish, scarlet hermit crabs, green banded gobies (two)

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Spirulina enriched frozen artemia, live artemia, nutramar ova
Feeding Schedule:  At least twice a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  12-16-2013
Hatch Time of Day:  ~8:30 PM, only 30 minutes or so after lights out
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:  To the eye they look like a white ball.  When they stretch out there is a round head and a small tail.  They are attracted to light after hatch

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  ~80 F
Size of Larval Tank:  17 gallon BRT, only partially filled
Substrate Details:  None
Other Tank Decor:  None other than the heater and airstone
Filtration Details:  Live phyto
Lighting:  Fluorescent strip light
Lighting Cycle:  6AM to 9PM
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Euterpina copepods, L strain rotifers, and nhbbs enriched with live phyto in the tub 
Feeding Schedule:  Constant

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by shannpeach on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:57 PM>

shannpeach
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Libia tessellata (Pom Pom crab) - Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:00 AM
Here is the female with the eggs:

They are bright bright orange, then a couple days before hatch they darken.  When I noticed that they had darkened I moved her to the hatching chamber where she stayed for two nights (she released the second night she was in there).  When I moved her, a couple eggs dislodged so I snagged them and tried to get a pic, but it didn't turn out the best:

She released the larvae very shortly after the lights went out.  I saw her over by the rigid airline tube for a bit and then saw the larvae in the water.  I bastered them out and put them in a BRT with about 2 gallons of broodstock water and then started dripping in about 2.5 gallons of new ASW.  I added Euterpina, L strain rotifers, nhbbs, nanno and iso to the tub.  They seem smaller than the M. forceps larvae so I was concerned about the nhbbs being too large...but then again, hermit crab larvae are pretty small and they get by just fine on nhbbs, so perhaps it won't be a problem.

I took these pics about an hour after hatch.

This morning I added some more nhbbs and also another gallon of ASW.  The BRT has a heater and an airstone as well.

shannpeach
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Libia tessellata (Pom Pom crab) - Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:31 AM
I already think the BRT was not the best choice for these guys...they don't seem to stay up in the water column very well.  At least, I don't think they do; it's hard to spot them.  Tonight I may pull everything out and switch them over to some inverted 3L bottles if there are any left.

shannpeach
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Libia tessellata (Pom Pom crab) - Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:22 AM
Last night I moved each one out of the BRT and into my preferred 3L bottle...very time consuming.  There were more than I thought; they are super hard to see compared to Mithraculus species.  Perhaps they would have been fine in the BRT, but oh well.  I gave them more nhbbs and iso and also some apocyclops.  Unfortunately, they are at room temp for the time being since I didn't have a great place to put them at the time.  I think later today I will try to find a heated location for them. 

I pulled a couple and snapped some pics.  They have gotten more reddish/pigmented, but still seem to be in Z1.

The second image is of one curled up with it's face/head facing the slide and the tail closest to the camera.