Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus

JustinGr
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 115
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Monday, December 30, 2013 10:27 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  A. Frenatus
Social Structure:  Male/Female
Size of Individuals:  Female 3.5" Male 2.25"
Age of Individuals:  Unknown, They were in a display tank at a store for 5 years before I purchased them 1.5 years ago.
Date added to Tank:  6/13/12

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  40 Breeder
Substrate Details:  Light Sand
Filtration Details:  Wet/Dry
Water Changes:  10% Every Other Month
Water Temperature:  86.5 F
Lighting:  AI SOL Blue w/ Controller
Lighting Cycle:  0700-2230
Other Tank Inhabitants:  None

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Frozen Brine/Sera Marin
Feeding Schedule:  Sera Marin x 4 Daily. Frozen x5 Weekly

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  7/20/12
Spawn Time of Day:  0800-0945
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  8/6/12, every 14-16 days afterwards. Current 12/27/13 | New Spawn 1/13/2014
Courtship Details:  She stays in Pot, he cleans tile. Day before Spawn, they post stay at tile all day.
Egg Size:  2mm
Egg Color:  Bright Orange
Egg Count:  200-300

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  1/22/14
Hatch Time of Day:  ~1030pm
# Days after Spawn:  9
Larvae Description:  Small, active, and eating. Only about 15 hatched.   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  86F
Size of Larval Tank:  10 Gallon
Substrate Details:  Bare
Other Tank Decor:  None
Filtration Details:  None
Lighting:  40W CFL
Lighting Cycle:  0730-2130
Water Changes:  None

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Live Rotifers
Feeding Schedule:  As needed

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by JustinGr on Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:29 PM>

JustinGr
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Monday, December 30, 2013 10:29 AM
Photos of the 12/27/13 Spawn

JustinGr
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Monday, December 30, 2013 10:31 AM
One more picture

JustinGr
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Monday, January 6, 2014 1:27 PM
Tonight is hatch night, well technically last night (1/5/14), one hatched it's in the larval catcher.

I'll update with hatch pictures.

JustinGr
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:52 AM
Well, I am 0/2 the past few days. This is the first time I tried the Vossen Larval Trap and I caught ZERO of the 200+ fry that hatched. I shut off all of the pumps at 10p, the lights went out at 1030. I had the Vossen light on at 1040 and by 2am, all eggs were hatched and the only thing in the trap were Mysis/Gammarus and no fry. I left it running until 0700 and nothing but a dozen different Mysis and Gammarus. Unless these critters ate the fry, I don't know what happened.

So, I'll pull the tiles like before... Disappointed, but I'll get the next batch.

JustinGr
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Monday, January 13, 2014 9:17 PM
The fish spawned again on 1/13/2014 @ ~0930. Usual cluster of eggs, size, color. I lost the last batch at hatch, the larval catcher did not work. Here are pics of this spawn:

Good view of Male's "Horns" from his odd head stripe.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:56 AM
Perhaps you need a stronger light on the trap, or the air feed is too week to suck the larvae in?

FWIW, I had better luck with Chad's earlier traps on Decapod larvae than I did with fish larvae.  Thankfully it looks like this is a pretty reliable pair..you'll get it!  I should point out - using the trap is more of a "last resort" in my book...pulling the tile is always easier and what I would default to.

JustinGr
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:27 AM
Thanks Matt. I plan on pulling the tile the night before.  I'll keep the trap for when I want Mysis/Gammarus

These two are like a clock. I hope to get this batch!

JustinGr
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:21 AM
I pulled the tile last night. By my watch, they should hatch tonight. I had to pull them a day earlier than planned, I won't be home until after lights out tonight. I'll grab pictures after the hatch!

Justin

JustinGr
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Frenatus - Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:17 PM
I had the majority of the tile get fungus on the eggs. About 15 hatched last night. Here are a few pics of the few that hatched.