Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn?

Mikester
  • Total Posts : 46
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 197
Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Saturday, January 11, 2014 3:39 AM
Greetings,
My faithful pair of Ocellaris Clowns just laid another batch of eggs this afternoon.  The last few batches have not been taken care of by me, as I'm resting a bit from raising more.  I do have another pair I'd like to see lay some eggs, so was wondering what is the process of moving these freshly laid eggs to the other pair to try and kick-start their own laying of eggs?  Both pair have the same size pot, so I thought I'd switch the pots.  Question is when?  Thanks for any tips or advice. 

r/
mike

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Saturday, January 11, 2014 4:47 AM
I'd say anytime after they lay. I've done fresh laid down eggs, all the way up to the day of hatch. just know they very possibly lost to the new parents attitude towards them. There's a good thread here on mbi talking all about it. you should look it up, might be a good read.  

Mikester
Re:Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:26 AM
Couldn't find that thread you wrote of, but moved the eggs this morning.  So far, looks like the female is taking care of the eggs.   Wondering what are the chances of the eggs actually hatching if they are not eaten?  Time is pressing, so I might just wait until next batch to try and raise once again...

r/
mike

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:12 PM
Here are a couple threads. The technique is also referred to as "doubling down".

http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=51536

http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com/?p=1377

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:48 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Mikester
Wondering what are the chances of the eggs actually hatching if they are not eaten?

If the foster parents don't eat the eggs they will hatch on schedule.  In my experience, if the foster parents hatch the foster eggs they will spawn within 2 weeks of the foster eggs hatching.  It seems like they are ready to spawn if they don't eat the foster eggs.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

Mikester
Re:Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:13 PM
I hope you are correct in my case.  It appears the female is doing a great job fanning the eggs, but the male has yet to go into the pot to check things out.  Fortunately, no one has made a meal out of the eggs.  I don't have any rots going, so it will be a loss either way at this point.  Thank you and waldend for your comments.

r/
mike
<message edited by Mikester on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:39 PM>

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:16 PM
If nothing else it will give them some practice.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:16 PM
If nothing else it will give them some practice.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:28 PM
And it will give them some excellent nutrition as eating either the eggs or the larvae.

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Process of moving eggs to kick-start others to spawn? - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:35 PM
There you go! I'm about to do this with my clarkii eggs to my darwin pair. They just eat every nest though. lol 

Let us know how it goes!