Let's ID some pepps!

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 676
Let's ID some pepps! - Monday, February 3, 2014 8:45 AM
So, I peeked into my LFS peppermint shrimp tank and found that for the first time since I began paying attention, some of the peppermints were not L. boggessi!  I have five so far, and may go back and grab a few more if they still have some.

Pepp #1:

Pepp #2

Pepp #3

Pepp #4

Pepp #5

I know the lighting in the fifth pic is a bit different. I actually will probably pull them all and take new/more pics since I wasn't able to get very good side pics of most of them and the lighting also turned out more blue that it looked to the eye.  

shannpeach
Re:Let's ID some pepps! - Monday, February 3, 2014 9:21 AM
Pepps 1, 2 and 4 look the same (banding on the body and the tail striping).  Pepp #3 has a darker red striping on the tail (for some reason that's the only one that loaded to Photobucket cropped...).  Pepp #5 looks different in it's banding on the body as well as having a darker tail.  

I'm trying to decide between L. rathbunae and L. perderseni for 1-4.  I think #5 might be L. wurdemanni....

Thoughts?

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Let's ID some pepps! - Monday, February 3, 2014 12:37 PM
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

shannpeach
Re:Let's ID some pepps! - Monday, February 3, 2014 1:15 PM
Yep, I know.  That's what I have been using for ID, but still wanted some opinions.  For example, is the coloration differences due to individual variation or because they are different species...I want to take  more pics, but won't be able to until at least tonight.  Some of these, the banding suggests pederseni, but the tail color/faded pattern looks like rathbunae.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Let's ID some pepps! - Monday, February 3, 2014 1:19 PM
I'm just speculating here... I'm assuming that patterning is tied to the particular species where coloration (fading) may be diet related?
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

shannpeach
Re:Let's ID some pepps! - Monday, February 3, 2014 1:23 PM
And I think that may be one of the issues I'm running into.  Some have great color and some look...faded.  But the ID paper has a species that has a more general faded looking color that has similar banding patterns to a more brightly colored species...so perhaps I will need to wait a week or more, feed them lots and lots, and then try more pics for ID.  I am pretty sure #3 is L. pederseni and #5 looks like L. wurdemanni...but....

namal
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 21
Re:Let's ID some pepps! - Friday, October 10, 2014 6:28 AM
I just looked at some of my emerald larvae under my scope. I'm in day 3, and I pulled two that looked white-ish (I thought they may acually be dead ones) and one darker one. Under the scope I found that the two whiter ones were zoea two and the darker one was still zoea one. If I see one spread out instead of in a tight ball it is usually dead.