Culture Journal, Species: Arctodiaptomus salinus (Tangerine pods)

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Culture Journal, Species: Arctodiaptomus salinus (Tangerine pods) - Monday, February 3, 2014 3:07 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Arctodiaptomus salinus
Species description:  Calanoid copepod
Culture source (link if possible):  http://www.algagen.com/?p=114
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  1-31-2014
Continuation Date:  5-1-2014

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  ~1.021-1.024
Temperature:    Room temp, 68-80F
pH:  Not measured

Vessel description:  1 gallon container, clear 
Lighting description:  Fluorescent strip light, and ambient light from southern facing window
Lighting cycle:  6AM-9PM
Aeration description:  Rigid airline, continuous bubble but not a "boil"

Methodologies
Split methodology: When the copepods are needed, I pour part of the culture through a 53uM mesh and then replace the dumped water with new ASW.

Culture medium description:  I used sterilized ASW (0.5 mL/liter bleach for at least 30 minutes, neutralized with 1.5mL/liter of 1M sodium thiosulfate) for culture water and add live phyto plankton (Isochrysis or Tetraselmis) as needed, just enough to tint the water slightly.   Lately, I have been using RG complete (Reed) for feeding, and add a couple drops every other day or so.

Cell count: Not measured
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by shannpeach on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:05 PM>

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Arctodiaptomus salinus (Tangerine pods) - Monday, February 3, 2014 3:24 PM

I have to get some pics of the actual pods tonight if I can remember.  So far I have just been increasing the culture volume every day and I've added in some Isochrysis

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Arctodiaptomus salinus (Tangerine pods) - Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:33 PM
Finally got around to taking some microscope pics:

She dropped the eggs when I put her on the slide:

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Arctodiaptomus salinus (Tangerine pods) - Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:07 PM
Continuation pics!

And last, I measured an egg that fell off when one of the females was scooting around the slide:

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Arctodiaptomus salinus (Tangerine pods) - Sunday, May 18, 2014 1:35 PM
I decided to start a large scale, outdoor culture of this copepod.  I took one of the two indoor cultures I have and dumped that into ~7 gallons of ASW and dumped in a bunch of Tetraselmis.  The 15 gallon barrel is placed in a spot with indirect sunlight, and is covered with plexiglass-like material to limit changes in salinity.  

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Arctodiaptomus salinus (Tangerine pods) - Friday, June 6, 2014 9:28 PM
I didn't realize they'd given the "Tangerine" pod a name - where did you get the info on that?

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Arctodiaptomus salinus (Tangerine pods) - Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:01 AM
Yeah, I have a culture of that going, and wanted to submit reports! Good news!
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Arctodiaptomus salinus (Tangerine pods) - Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:35 AM
Luis AM had sent them to be identified. I'll try to find the link tomorrow evening.