Ecsenius gravieri gets the "Captive bred Success" Checkmark Today

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Ecsenius gravieri gets the "Captive bred Success" Checkmark Today - Monday, February 3, 2014 5:02 PM

rjramos
  • Total Posts : 65
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 112
Re:Ecsenius gravieri gets the "Captive bred Success" Checkmark Today - Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:45 AM
I really wish these commercial breeders would share information on their protocols and methologies with respect to these difficult species, including this pair of Ecsenius Midas, not me, nor they, have had success with! I haven't even read on anyone producing larvae for Ecsenius Midas. Are they(ORA)? I'm willing to invite the people from ORA to contact me and arrange to get these larvae from Miami to them up in Fort Pierce, to see if they can write another success story.

Sincerely, 
Richard Ramos

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Ecsenius gravieri gets the "Captive bred Success" Checkmark Today - Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:02 AM
Richard,
You typed midas but I assume you mean gravieri? This gravieri is really an awesome looking blenny. I had an unfortunate accident with one but the other is doing awesome now. As it has grown older the colors have really darkened and become much more vivid than their picture shows as juveniles.

The reason they won't release the info is due to the cost to bring them to market. They have to be able to capitalize on that market in order to justify the cost to develop the protocol and the rearing costs. For a lower volume fish like this (assuming it's not a high volume partly due to cost) splitting the market share even with one competitior could mean it becomes not financially viable. We have to remember that while us hobbyists have goals to grow captive breeding and would be happy to break even on projects as a for profit business they have a goal and obligation to make money first and foremost.

waldend
Re:Ecsenius gravieri gets the "Captive bred Success" Checkmark Today - Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:10 AM
Richard - just re-read your post. I see now you were talking about sending midas to them. Sorry about the confusion, I read it backwards. I am going to assume that they do or could have larvae available from others so perhaps they are coming soon. I was talking with a commercial breeder before and the case was getting them to spawn isn't a problem as commercial breeders. It is truly the rearing protocol development.

rjramos
  • Total Posts : 65
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 112
Re:Ecsenius gravieri gets the "Captive bred Success" Checkmark Today - Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:17 PM
 Waldend. yes, I have  tried unsuccessfully with a Ecsenius Midas pair I have had spawning in my tank continuously since last May. I don't have much experience in the fish breeding aspect of the hobby, although I am trying to get more involved and learn. I stopped collecting the Midas Blenny larvae months ago after many unsuccessful trials. Since I don't have much experience in general, I decided to give a pair of wild neon gobies I caught last summer a try. They started spawning in January and I currently have 7 at about 3/4"! This has given me confidence, and at the same time made me aware of the dedication it takes. I've read Wittenrich's book and learned alot from a local breeder. In the process of putting together a breeding area now, so I can get back at trials with Ecsenius Midas larvae. In the meantime, I'm doing my research, but there is nothing specific, so I look to co-species and there is nothing specific with them either. I understand the whole commercial market thing, thats why I'm willing to give them a shot at Midas larvae if they haven't done so already. I don't know nor, do they say if they have gotten larvae and tried?

Best regards.

waldend
Re:Ecsenius gravieri gets the "Captive bred Success" Checkmark Today - Friday, May 16, 2014 9:14 AM
Congrats on the neon gobies. I am hoping to get a pair of those soon. Keep grinding on the midas. It does takes lots of work, patience and dedication but it's well worth it!