Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion percula ('Onyx' x 'Picasso') x sibling

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion percula ('Onyx' x 'Picasso') x sibling - Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:15 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion percula
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  Male: 5 cm, Female: 7 cm
Age of Individuals:  They were hatched 13 July 2010, and so, are 3 years, 7 months, and 17 days as of this writing (3 March 2014).
Date added to Tank:  11 May 2011

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  10 Gallons
Substrate Details:  Bare Bottom with a clay flowerpot
Filtration Details:  Bioballs and a HOB powerwheel filter
Water Changes:  When I think about it
Water Temperature:  78 - 80 F
Lighting:  Small fluorescent strip light
Lighting Cycle:  On at 7:00 AM, off at 9:00 PM
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Some Aiptasia

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Mostly various frozen foods, some flake, some pellets
Feeding Schedule:  Between my wife and myself, they get fed 3-4 times a day.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  Eggs were first noticed on the flowerpot on the evening of 1 March 2014
Spawn Time of Day:  Unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  3/11/2014, 3/27/2014
Courtship Details: This pair gets along well.  She really doesn't dominate him.  I did notice some extra flowerpot cleaning for a few days before I noticed the eggs for the first time.
Egg Size:  Small compared to A. ocellaris eggs I've seen before.  Perhaps 2-3 mm long.
Egg Color:  Ranges from a dark purpulish grey to a lighter silvery color.  They may have been laid for a while before I noticed them.
Egg Count:  Appx. 50 for the first spawn.  Appx. 200 for the 3/11/2014 spawn.

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by JimWelsh on Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:16 PM>

JimWelsh
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion percula ('Onyx' x 'Picasso') x sibling - Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:25 PM
I got this pair of fish from user "Umm, Fish?".  They were some of the offspring of the batch of fry documented in this thread:  http://www.mbisite.org/Fo...&high=picasso+onyx

They have been in my fishroom for almost three years.  I've been waiting forever for them to finally spawn.  This first spawn is a small one, but I'm so excited that they have finally spawned for me!  Quite frankly, the only reason I noticed the spawn is because I was thinking about removing the flowerpot to scrub the Aiptasia off of it, and noticed the male tending this small clutch during a water change and tank cleaning.  I don't know how long ago they may have spawned.  It may have been a few days ago, because I have gotten complacent with these fish, and really don't pay that much attention to them.  Now that they are spawning, I'll be watching them MUCH more closely now!  I've only watched A. ocellaris eggs progress before, but these look to me more like several day old ocellaris eggs, rather than newly spawned eggs.

JimWelsh
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion percula ('Onyx' x 'Picasso') x sibling - Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:58 AM
They spawned this afternoon/evening.  I'm not sure what time, but the eggs weren't there this morning at the last AM feeding at 11:00 AM, and they were there at the evening feeding at about 9:00 PM.  Some pictures:

Male with Eggs:

Parents Left Side:

Parents Right Side:

Attached Image(s)

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion percula ('Onyx' x 'Picasso') x sibling - Monday, March 24, 2014 12:51 PM
Oh, heck. It's nice to see pictures of them! I hope you like them.

Congrats on the spawn! I'm still waiting on their siblings.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886