Selling really small/young clowns?

Titus
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 141
Selling really small/young clowns? - Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:24 PM
Last month, I was in a LFS and noticed they had about 30 baby clowns (10-15mm) in a biocube that were actually for sale.  They seemed way to small to me, but they got tons of attention.  Today, I saw a posting on the same LFSs facebook saying "Just in... baby clownfish. Born January 24th, 2014. We have 15 baby oscellaris and 12 snowflake clowns. They are eating flake and frozen baby brine. Come on in and check them out!"  That means they are only 40 days old.  Is this as crazy and irresponsible as it sounds to me, or am I being overly concerned for nothing?

mwilliams62
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 63
Re:Selling really small/young clowns? - Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:43 PM
I think that is way too young but that is just me... I was really worried about selling my babies and they are 8 months old now.

Titus
Re:Selling really small/young clowns? - Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:56 PM
They posted a picture of them hosting a goniopora frag.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Selling really small/young clowns? - Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:57 PM
Since they know the birthday, I assume the fish were locally bred.  I'm sure there will be a few disappointed people buying these little "snacks". 

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of REALLY tiny Clownfish coming from Bali Aquarich.  My Galaxy Clarkii (in my avatar) showed up only 1/2" and 5/8" long including the tail fins.  I couldn't believe they were shipped that far that small (and that expensive!).
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Selling really small/young clowns? - Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:26 PM
If they are appropriately housed (tank size, flow, co-inhabitants, etc) I am not sure they are any more fragile at that size than typical retail. My only other concern would be they have little fat reserve at that age and could be succeptible to inadequate feeding. That's typically not a problem though.

Titus
Re:Selling really small/young clowns? - Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:31 PM
OK, maybe I am over-reacting.    They were indeed bred locally, as the breeder had some for sale on the local forum and then posted that they were available now at the LFS.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Selling really small/young clowns? - Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:00 PM
I wouldn't consider them any less hardy at that size either.  If they can make it all the ay from Bali, they should be quite fine in a dealer tank!    It might be tough to find homes for them at that size simply because most people have fish/inverts big enough to eat them.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]