Moving Fish Long Distance Question

JustinGr
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 115
Moving Fish Long Distance Question - Friday, March 7, 2014 1:18 PM
I am moving next week, I purchased a new house that afforded me a 600 SF fish room, but I need to move my critters 30-45 minutes. My question is, save all of the water or just use new water? Hauling 500 gallons of water is possible, but labor intensive.

Thoughts?

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 274
Re:Moving Fish Long Distance Question - Friday, March 7, 2014 4:30 PM
I would keep any bioload laden parts of your system under water and keep that. (k1 chambers, rock, sponges, anything like that)... other wise keep as much as is feasible. 

I did an 8 hr move and it was not possible to keep all the water from the system, so I ended up keeping ~20% and there was a small cycle not too bad though. 

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't want to haul that much water... just saying. lol.

GOOD LUCK! 

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Moving Fish Long Distance Question - Saturday, March 8, 2014 10:17 AM
I would only haul enough water to keep the biological filtration wet.  30-45 mins is certainly not long distance.

I moved my fish and an entire reef setup 14 hours (600 miles).  In this case, I had everything setup in the new place and cycled, and it was as easy as acclimating the critters.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

Titus
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 141
Re:Moving Fish Long Distance Question - Saturday, March 8, 2014 11:33 AM
I agree... I wouldn't bother taking more than about 100g.  Additionally, you might consider calling around to your LFSs to see what it would cost to have them deliver 400g of fresh saltwater to the new location the day of the move.  Otherwise you will need to rush to get your RODI hooked up so you can spend the next week straight making enough water to re-fill the tanks the rest of the way.

jasmine12
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 20
Re:Moving Fish Long Distance Question - Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:56 AM
My intent was to question the misbar.  I didn't notice the gill back then, but it is some type of defect.  I still have that fish, and he's (it) doing fine.  Thanks for your post. 
jasmine