Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris

kthomas
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points : 528
Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Sunday, March 30, 2014 11:36 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Oxymonacanthus longirostris
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  2.5-3.5" Haven't actually measured any of my fish
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  3/21/2014

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  10g QT will be moved to RSM 130 in a month or two, I want to get them eating a bit more aggressively first
Substrate Details:  bare bottom with some small PVC elbows and a larger 3" elbow
Filtration Details:  HOB filter
Water Changes:  50% Weekly, likely going to bump that up
Water Temperature:  80
Lighting:  Basic Strip Light
Lighting Cycle:  8:30am-10:45pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:  None

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Nutramar Ova, NLS Small Fish Formula
Feeding Schedule:  Ova 1-2x daily, and pellet 2-3x daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 
Consecutive Hatch Dates:      

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
Just going to start this thread now to log behaviors and hopefully get feedback from others.

I got this beautiful pair of fish from Chad Vossen. I saw them shortly after he got them back in January I believe and ended up getting them just over a week ago after he got them eating pellets. So far they are doing great, and the male has gotten a nice belly bump.

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

kthomas
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:31 PM
The male is doing well so far, and continues to enact what I think is courting behavior. Essentially sticking his dorsal spike up and flaring his caudal fin to the female. Typically following the female between "flaring up". The female ignores him for the most part, sometimes swimming away. Other times she will mirror the behavior when he turns away for a moment. I don't think she is ready because her stomach isn't very plump, so I'm going to continue working on this, and it will take time since she isn't as competitive at feeding time as the male. Currently thinking about separating the two, but allowing them to see each other, until I can get both eating more aggressively (the female especially). Feel free to chime in, Matt P.!

After trying to video some of the behavior I think may be courting attempts by the male, I'm realizing they are camera shy. I'll try some video again at a later time, but here are a couple pictures of the male and the female can be seen in them, but not like the male can be.

Clowns were moved because they were too competitive for food.

kthomas
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:00 PM
Stunning development between last night and now... The female up until this point has maintained weight, but is now all of the sudden rather chubby. Here is a top-down shot to give you an idea of how big her belly is. Not sure if this evidence of the fish becoming gravid or if she just put on a lot of weight overnight.

kthomas
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoU97XM6SQk

Link to a video I just took, but it isn't the best since the male wouldn't do anything if I were any closer/visible. Even the "displays" seen are mellower versions of what he does when I sit at my desk further away. Any interpretations?

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:11 PM
I don't have any experience with this fish, BUT if that chubbiness happened overnight my guess would be that she's gravid.  Do you have any macro algae or spawning mops in there?  

kthomas
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:35 PM
The female died/was killed last night. It happens that the male was displaying aggression, and when not being watched closely, the displaying was more intense. As such, I won't know if she was indeed gravid. I'll find out more about them at a later time when I find a replacement female. For now I'm going to get the male through QT and into his display.

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:42 PM
Nooooooo! What a bummer

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Wednesday, April 9, 2014 9:45 PM
so sorry. It did look to me that she was gravid. I've had my struggles with these fish, too, so I know what you are going through.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

kthomas
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:10 AM
They are one of my favorite fish, so they will be a project for me. I'll just have to hold off until a new female can me found. Hopefully the male isn't so aggressive the next time around.