Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points : 676
Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta - Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:53 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Dunaliella tertiolecta
Species description:  motile green algae
Culture source (link if possible): 
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  4-8-2014
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  ~1.021
Temperature:    ~65 F
pH:  Not measured

Vessel description:  500mL bottle
Lighting description:  Fluorescent strip light
Lighting cycle:  14 hours on, 10 off
Aeration description:  None at the moment

Methodologies
Split methodology:

Culture medium description: 
0.5mL of FAF microalgae grow per L of ASW (sterilized with 0.5 mL of bleach for at least an hour, neutralized with 1.5mL of 1M sodium thiosulfate) 

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
I got a very small starter of this, so right now I am just hoping it will get going...

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta - Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:55 AM
Some pics:

Here with the 4x objective (I don't know the magnification of my camera)

10x objective

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta - Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:58 PM
This culture, started from just a few milliliters of pale culture, is already darkening up nicely. I will add more culture water tomorrow and perhaps have a decent pic of it (non-microscope) this weekend if it continues to do well I've been giving it a few swirls each day since it isn't being aerated right now.

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta - Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:22 PM
Greening up nicely

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 853
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta - Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:46 PM
Cool, one thing I will say, you'll get a lot greener results by adding a strong airflow. Can't be too too strong, I'd say like ~5 bubbles per second, but in three days my cultures are so dark I can't even see into them anymore! But your swirling method seems to be just fine too! I'm just jealous about how your microscope can get a better perspective of the darn things, down to a single cell! What kind of microscope do you use?

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta - Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:11 PM
Eventually I will have aerated cultures, but the starter I got was so small that until I have a stronger/denser cultures I want to limit the chances of contamination.

It's an Omax...I forget the exact model but it came with a camera adapter which I love. I think that pic is from that camera. The only thing I don't like about it is that I don't know the exact magnification because the camera replaces the eye piece.

Recently I got an adapter that holds my iPhone to the eye lens so I know the exact magnification. Then I got an app that adds in a scale bar. This weekend I hope to get some pics with that set up. This alga is hard to photograph though because it cruises around so much

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 853
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta - Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:17 PM
I know right! Counting the little bugger's for cell density without completely killing them was almost impossible, I think I either killed them, or somehow got them to move slow enough so that I could count them fairly easy. That's one hecka cool microscope you've got there! I may need one now And that's completely understandable on the aeration. One thing I've noticed, is even if it may not seem it at first, the will bloom like crazy in a day or two, with right conditions. I did it with them on their own shelf, curtsy of only culturing two algaes, but now with tet in the mix, it's almost a "who looks greener?" scenario lol. You're doing a great job with them though, so good luck! So far, with some cultures lacking any care at all (beta testers,) these guys can come back from almost any mistake!

Aaand after looking them up, maybe a bit AFTER high school! lol

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta - Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:50 PM
I thought I almost lost this culture. No matter how much or how little I aerated, it would settle out. So I stirred it up, split it in two, and moved the cultures in front of a stronger/brighter strip light. They are coloring up nicely now and I no longer am having the issues where it settles out. Whew!

shannpeach
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Dunaliella tertiolecta - Friday, May 23, 2014 11:31 PM
Scaling up...