Yellow Belly Hippo and a Blue Hippo courting

jerwin
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 25
Yellow Belly Hippo and a Blue Hippo courting - Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:15 PM
Hi Guys I am new here but  have been keeping fish for over 8 years. This past weekend my yellow belly hippo and my Blue hippo tang start acting up. They were so noisy in the tank I could not hear the TV. I believe the are in the start of a courting dance. I watch Capt movie and I believe they are doing the same thing. They have been doing this about every night for the last 3 nights. I grabbed my camera phone and then used my good camera to catch the action. I did not see any actual spawn. But base on what the Capt said I will start to look out for it. Let me know what you think. my youtube channel in NWAOcean   

First night     

Second night     

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Yellow Belly Hippo and a Blue Hippo courting - Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:27 AM
Good luck - looks like courtship to me!  HOw long have you had the Moorish Idol?

jerwin
Re:Yellow Belly Hippo and a Blue Hippo courting - Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:05 PM
I have had the Moorish Idol  about 8 months now. At first the powder borwn tang bully him a little but now he now actually picks on the powder brown now. he actually eats more then the tangs do. 

Moorish Idol name is Rock Star
Blonde Naso name is Happy
Powder brown name is Zip
Yellow Belly Hippo name is Thunder
Blue Hippo name is Lightning
Purple tang name is Grumps
Flame Angel no name
Rock Beauty  No name
Lepoard wrasses no name

<message edited by jerwin on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:31 PM>

jerwin
Re:Yellow Belly Hippo and a Blue Hippo courting - Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:15 PM
So back to the Hippo tang pair. I watch them again last night and the male is still doing his show. I feel he is trying to win the girl right now. 

here is the more interesting part. the male use to sleep at night behind the back hanging filter in the video. the female use to sleep in a hole in the rock structure below the hanging filter. Since they have gotten together on Sat night they have both move to sleep behind the rock near the heater which is 1/2 the tank away. They now sleep together at night. I have check for the last couple of nights just to make sure. 

Background on the fish.
Male: he is now about 2 1/2 years old and I got him when he was about 1 1/2 inches long. he is now about 7 inches long. he has been in this tank since I got him
Female: I got her from a friend about 8 months ago. She is about 6 inches long.

These things have only started happening since 4/12/14

jerwin
Re:Yellow Belly Hippo and a Blue Hippo courting - Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:55 PM
Tonight was a very loud and interesting night. Even with the glass lids on my tank I was getting splashed at my computer watching the courting going on. After 5 nights of putting up with the male splashing at the surface of the water and chasing the female around for hours it happen. The Hippo tangs actually spawn in my tank. I feel like such a proud father. The plan is to let them spawn a few times until they get better at it and then I will start to try to collect the eggs.

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 880
Re:Yellow Belly Hippo and a Blue Hippo courting - Saturday, April 19, 2014 1:52 PM
Nice video! I can see how you could get wet sitting near the tank!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

jerwin
Re:Yellow Belly Hippo and a Blue Hippo courting - Saturday, June 14, 2014 9:28 PM
Just an update. The male Tang puts on a show every night still for over a month from about 8pm until 10:15 when the lights go off. They usually spawn on Wed night of each week. This week they spawned on Tues night. Today I did a water change on the tank and the pair just spawned again. So that that is 2 spawns in under 7 days. I was thinking it was once a week type thing as when I breed Discus. But now I know they can spawn more often then that.

I will keep everyone up to date with the next step. I am going to start to try to collect he eggs.

jerwin
Re:Yellow Belly Hippo and a Blue Hippo courting - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:19 PM
So hippo tangs are still at it. They are almost breeding every night now. They spawn on the current dates confirmed by me. They might of spawned other nights when I was not in the room to watch.
6/10
6/14
6/15
6/18
tonight I turned off the main pumps and right after they spawned I turned off the lights and power heads. I was able to video some of the eggs floating on the surface. The goal is to build a device to contain the eggs in the tank for the next couple of spawns.