Artificial hatch techniques?

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 676
Artificial hatch techniques? - Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:21 AM
I seem to be having problems with artificially hatching eggs, particularly clownfish eggs.  I can get my Priolepis goby larvae and clingfish larvae to hatch no problem, but those clownfish eggs are another story for me.  I can't really let them hatch in tank (one tank is just full of aiptasia) because then I don't get many larvae (even when I use a snagger). I have tried scrape and tumble and get a few hatched, but not amazing numbers.  I have tried multiple times to aerate the tile or clay pot, using new, aged ASW, but don't get great hatches.  So for those of you out there that routinely pull eggs and hatch them in the larval tank, how exactly are you doing it?  Do you use broodstock water, new ASW, or does it not matter?  How much aeration, and where to you place the air stone?

Tips and tricks?

I may try broodstock water next time, just because I need to change something...

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 880
Re:Artificial hatch techniques? - Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:43 PM
I've used the scrape and upwelling tumble method, with brood stock water. I set up my tumbler in the frag tank to maintain temp, and have had really good hatch rates (I would estimate >75%). My tumbler is homemade from an inverted 2 liter soda bottle with an airline plumbed in through the bottom. Just enough airflow to keep the eggs from settling to the bottom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
Re:Artificial hatch techniques? - Friday, May 9, 2014 3:43 AM
I use brood stock water, air bubbles have direct contact with the eggs and at a much heavier bubble rate than one might expect. 

shannpeach
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 676
Re:Artificial hatch techniques? - Friday, May 9, 2014 2:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Mdoty
I use brood stock water, air bubbles have direct contact with the eggs and at a much heavier bubble rate than one might expect. 

Tile or clay pot?  

Looks like the main thing I should try is using broodstock water.

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
Re:Artificial hatch techniques? - Friday, May 9, 2014 5:15 PM
I have used both, with pretty much the same result. Currently I use clay pots. I like to put the airline through the hole on the bottom of them, it seems to help keep the air stone in place.

mwilliams62
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 63
Re:Artificial hatch techniques? - Friday, May 9, 2014 5:46 PM
I have been reading from different forums what is the tumbler everyone keeps talking about? 
Any pictures of what this thing looks like?
I tried the clay pot with the airstone underneath the eggs with no luck at all.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Artificial hatch techniques? - Monday, October 27, 2014 12:49 AM
I use the San Francisco Bay brine shrimp hatcher to tumble scraped eggs.  I probably get 75% hatch provided the eggs came from a good source (usually my scraped eggs are from some reef/fish tank that may or may not have good water quality).

I use tiles for my broodstock and the water I use is new saltwater sterilized with bleach.  The tile is cleaned with a toothbrush around the eggs and the whole tile is soaked in a dilute hydrogen peroxide bath for 15 minutes.  I get >99% hatch rate.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]