Breeding Journal, Species: [Premnas biaculeatus]White Stripe PNG FO X S&R Morse Code PNG F1

Mr Cob
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Reward points : 127
Breeding Journal, Species: [Premnas biaculeatus]White Stripe PNG FO X S&R Morse Code PNG F1 - Monday, May 12, 2014 8:15 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet 
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General 
 Species:  Premnas biaculeatus  (White Stripe PNG FO female x S&R Morse Code PNG F1 male) 
Social Structure:  Pair 
Size of Individuals:  3" female / 1.5" male 
Age of Individuals:  ? 
Date added to Tank:  I paired both of them up on 06/2014 so they are new.  The male dances when she looks for it.  The female is wild caught from PNG and the male is a first generation PNG from Sea and Reef's wild caught morse code.

Broodstock Tank Details 
Size of Tank:  40g (4 stalls) 36" x 18" x 16" 
Substrate Details:  Bare Bottom 
Filtration Details:  UV, Skimmer, Carbon & Phosphate pads, Deep Sand Bed refugium with Macro/Live Rock 
Water Changes:  10-20% weekly 
Water Temperature:  82.9 F 
Lighting:  T5, 10k and actinic bulb and fuge light on 24-7 
Lighting Cycle:  12 hr light cycle 
Other Tank Inhabitants:  4 broodstock pairs total, each in their own stall 

Broodstock Feeding Details 
Food Types:  Rod's Original, Frozen Brine, Oto pellets, Mixed flake high in protein 
Feeding Schedule:  I feed every time I look at the tank, 4-8 times a day during the main light cycle 

Spawning Details 
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size:  
Egg Color:   
Egg Count:   

Hatch Details 
Hatch Date:   
Hatch Time of Day:  
# Days after Spawn:  
Larvae Description:    
Consecutive Hatch Dates:      

Larval Tank Details 
Temperature:  81.5 F 
Size of Larval Tank:  
Substrate Details:  
Other Tank Decor:  
Filtration Details:  
Lighting:  
Lighting Cycle:  
Water Changes:  

Larval Feeding Details 
Food Types:  
Feeding Schedule:  

Metamorphosis/Settlement 
Date of Settlement Start:  
Days after Hatch:  
Date of Settlement End:  
Description of Fry:  

Grow-Out Tank Details 

Temperature:  
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  
Substrate Details:  
Other Tank Decor:  
Filtration Details:  
Lighting:  
Lighting Cycle:  
Water Changes:  
Size at Transfer:  
Age at Transfer:  

Grow-Out Feeding Details 
Food Types:  
Feeding Schedule:  

Additional Information 

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please) 
Miscellaneous Information:

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program. 
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Mr Cob on Friday, June 13, 2014 2:49 PM>
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Premnas biaculeatus] PNG F0 White Stripe X PNG S&R F1 Morse Code - Monday, May 12, 2014 8:22 PM
Video taken on 5/11/2014 - they are getting along and the male will dance when required to, seems this pair will work.  The male has a uniform pattern on both sides and overall a great looking fish.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzvJMSNjP6g[/video]

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzvJMSNjP6g
<message edited by Mr Cob on Monday, June 2, 2014 2:40 AM>
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Premnas biaculeatus] PNG F0 White Stripe X PNG S&R F1 Morse Code - Monday, May 12, 2014 8:58 PM
Here are a couple shots of the pair. Female is wild caught from PNG and the male is F1 generation from S&R which came from wild caught PNG Morse Code parents.

5/19/2014 - they are getting along fine but the female makes the male stay above the pot. She is actually very gentle with him. Hope she knows this is her man and not her juvenile. lol

Sent from my Samsung note3 using Tapatalk.
<message edited by Mr Cob on Monday, May 19, 2014 2:47 PM>
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Premnas biaculeatus] PNG F0 White Stripe X PNG S&R F1 Morse Code - Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:36 AM
Nice Pair.  The Morse Code's are PNG too, so you have straight PNG lineage there!  Good outcross potential for future Lightning offspring if you rear up some fish - great job keeping the provenance straight and producing another genetic outcross (when it finally happens!)

Mr Cob
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Premnas biaculeatus] PNG F0 White Stripe X PNG S&R F1 Morse Code - Monday, May 19, 2014 12:26 PM
thanks Matt. I'm excited about this pair and the female PNG white stripe is very beautiful. I have several types of maroons and they just don't compare to the ones that have come out of PNG. Their color is very bright and their body shape seems more like a football in comparison to my other wild caught maroons. The gold and white stripes all seem to have the same shaped bodies...but these PNG white striped fish appear to be more narrow. Have you noticed this in your wild caughts or F1 lightning maroon fish?

Thanks for posting.
<message edited by Mr Cob on Monday, May 19, 2014 2:56 PM>
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Premnas biaculeatus] PNG F0 White Stripe X PNG S&R F1 Morse Code - Monday, May 19, 2014 2:48 PM
Couple pics added to second post. The female has really gotten kind of large in the last few days as if she is pregnant. I know this would be premature, however she did come in with a wild caught male also from PNG...so they may have already been a spawning pair since they were captured together.

Not sure my little male morse code is ready but I guess we shall see. I'm not certain but I remember reading somewhere that a male can fertilize as early as 6 months of age. In my own experience I have only had males fertilize after at least a year of age and around 1.5".

I'm certain this male is at least a year of age.
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Premnas biaculeatus] PNG F0 White Stripe X PNG S&R F1 Morse Code - Friday, June 13, 2014 2:44 PM
I decided to switch the female out because she went a little ballistic on the little guy. His fins were shredded and he was looking rough. He healed very fast though. I decided to take the opportunity to move him over with one of my other smaller female PNG white stripes.

I think this will make a better pair anyways because of the exaggerated white on her.

PNG Wild Caught (FO) White Stripe Maroon female:
http://youtu.be/QN203jdVAQY

Pics:

https://flic.kr/p/nXBNc5

https://flic.kr/p/nFdYur

https://flic.kr/p/nZuxZi

https://flic.kr/p/nXHmtF
<message edited by Mr Cob on Sunday, June 15, 2014 1:25 AM>
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com

Mr Cob
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Premnas biaculeatus] PNG F0 White Stripe X PNG S&R F1 Morse Code - Sunday, June 15, 2014 3:56 AM
Here is the pair together. The female spent a few days in an isolated box to get used to the male. Once I released her, It got a little intense with the pot in their stall so I removed the pot and the female is more receiving of the male.

PNG Wild Caught female (FO) X S&R F1 PNG Morse Code male: http://youtu.be/gHkoxkpv-PQ
-Rob

mrcobscorals.com