Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis suecica

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis suecica - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:22 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Tetraselmis suecica

Species description:  This is a green, motile microalge with a high lipid content. Approximate cell size: 9-10 µ wide by 12-14 µ long.
Culture source (link if possible): Seahorse Source
(http://seahorsesource.com...50-ml-starter-culture)

If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/

Culture Establishment Date:  10-25-2013
Continuation Date:  Jan. 23rd 2014

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.020
Temperature:    72-74 F
pH:  8.0

Vessel description:  Started out in a 300mL Erlenmeyer flask and a 2L glass cylinders (x2). Now I still keep the 300mL Erlenmeyer going as my starter, but also run the rest of the culture in 1g plastic jugs (just for ease of handling). 

Lighting description:  2 18" compact bulbs at 2600K  
Lighting cycle:  24hr constant to ramp up culture, then I'll back it down to an 18hrs on & 6hrs off.  
Aeration description:  2-3 bubbles per second. 

Methodologies
Split methodology: take culture and split into thirds. 1/3 restart into new jug, 1/3 feed rotifers, 1/3 feed all the other cultures (or keep in water bottle till feedings are needed later that week). 

Culture medium description: 
2-3mL F2 (micro grow) fed at split.  

(this could range, example with algae could be “10ml per l of guillards F formulation” or with A. tonsa it would be more like “300ml per day of algal mixture containing gymnodynium, tetraselmis, isochrysis, and rhodomonas” )

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis suecica - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:25 AM
This is pretty much going to duplicate my T.Iso journal since they were purchased and started up at the same time. lol. But I'll write this one up anyhow, especially since it is a separate species and needs it's own log. 

Alright, I ended up getting my starters from Algagen via seahorsesource.com and got them started this morning, after trying a few different sterilization methods. I ended up choosing sterilization via the microwave for 20 minutes, until the liquid hit 190°F (181°F requirement for sterilization per Hoff & Snell pg.40).  

If the vessel could not fit in the microwave each part was sterilized separately. Canisters were heated in the oven covered with tin foil up to 300°F and kept at that temperature for 45 minutes. Then the sterilized freshly mixed (24hrs heated/circulated) saltwater was added to the final culture vessel and both were allowed to cool covered. Once temperature had cooled, algae was added.  
Here's there temporary set up, until we get the cabinet in. This photo most importantly shows the first split.  

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis suecica - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:25 AM
Ok, everything's moved into the new cabinet now!  

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis suecica - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:26 AM
Ok here's first harvest! 

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis suecica - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:27 AM
Jan. 23rd- It's been 90 days continuous now, so we can put that continuation report in.   I need to get some microscope pictures up first though.

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis suecica - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:27 AM
Alright got some microscope video footage of my algaes now. (I know, it's been forever)... but hey, I got it up that's saying something. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/w...w&feature=youtu.be

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis suecica - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:30 AM
Ok is it just me or does this algae settle like nobodies business???? Look at the settling of this algae it's only been 2 days and it's being aerated! I hope I'm not doing something wrong?? maybe more aeration?? or maybe look into using a stir plate under the containers?

jazzybio13
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis suecica - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:32 AM
Ok my T.Iso is struggling in the top of the cabinet with the warmer temperatures but this algae seems to be doing fine with the warmer temps. Even so,  since they are on the same shelf and I can't light one side and not the other. I've reduced the lighting schedule so as to lower the heat. (it's now only on a 14/10 lighting). AND I'm running it overnight versus in the day so the ambient room temp is lower when the lights are running...hopefully keeping everything generally cool in the cabinet.  

Might try and find a way of splitting up the lighting so that my t.iso could go lower, while the tetra stays up higher. It seems to do well with the warmer temps.