Just back from vacation

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Just back from vacation - Monday, June 23, 2014 1:58 PM
Hey all! Just back from vacation and maybe even over the jet lag. My kid and I spent a lot of time swimming with these guys:

Very motivational! So I guess I'd better get back to work on the fish breeding. I did notice that Rich has been doing some really impressive work:

http://www.zooborns.com/zooborns/2014/06/rarely-seen-pygmy-sea-horses-hatch-at-steinhart-aquarium.html

Congrats!
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Just back from vacation - Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:31 AM
Welcome back Andy!  

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Just back from vacation - Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:49 AM
Glad you made it back! Where did you find the turtle?
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Umm_fish?
Re:Just back from vacation - Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:19 AM
We actually saw quite a few--at least six--at different beaches along the northern coast of Kaua'i and one more on the Na Pali coast (northwest Kaua'i) that I didn't see but my kiddo did.

The reefs didn't look great, unfortunately, but look to me like they are starting to recover from years of agricultural run-off. I did find one large freestanding coral, probably 10' x 8', in a lagoon right in line with a boat launch. It looked like the boat propellers kept the top of the coral clean (of everything) and kept the algae from getting a foothold. But it was just the oddest place to find the largest coral of the trip.

I didn't see any soft corals at all. There were some lovely encrusting montis and acros in places, though.
--Andy, the bucket man.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Just back from vacation - Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:15 AM
Welcome back, and thanks for all your prompt work on the MBI reports!  When will we see you at the Workshop?

check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Just back from vacation - Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:02 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Umm_fish?

We actually saw quite a few--at least six--at different beaches along the northern coast of Kaua'i and one more on the Na Pali coast (northwest Kaua'i) that I didn't see but my kiddo did.

The reefs didn't look great, unfortunately, but look to me like they are starting to recover from years of agricultural run-off. I did find one large freestanding coral, probably 10' x 8', in a lagoon right in line with a boat launch. It looked like the boat propellers kept the top of the coral clean (of everything) and kept the algae from getting a foothold. But it was just the oddest place to find the largest coral of the trip.

I didn't see any soft corals at all. There were some lovely encrusting montis and acros in places, though.

I haven't been to Kauai yet but I think the reefs there are still recovering from hurricane damage, Iniki, I think. 

Hawaiian reefs are relatively young in geological terms and there are no soft corals unless you consider zoanthids. Kevin from Pacific Island Aquatics took me zoa hunting a few years ago in Kaneohe Bay. He also showed me some huge and beautiful colonies in Honolulu harbor (illegal to collect there though) and they were thriving in the nastiest water you could imagine. All kinds of crap in the water, icky!
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Umm_fish?
Re:Just back from vacation - Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:30 PM
Quote Originally Posted by
When will we see you at the Workshop?

Sigh. Someday.

Quote Originally Posted by
I haven't been to Kauai yet but I think the reefs there are still recovering from hurricane damage, Iniki, I think.

Hawaiian reefs are relatively young in geological terms and there are no soft corals unless you consider zoanthids. Kevin from Pacific Island Aquatics took me zoa hunting a few years ago in Kaneohe Bay. He also showed me some huge and beautiful colonies in Honolulu harbor (illegal to collect there though) and they were thriving in the nastiest water you could imagine. All kinds of crap in the water, icky!

I didn't see even one. Most of the coral heads I saw were roughly volleyball sized or less and there was plenty of room between them except in a few spots. (Ke'e beach had a lot of coral packed together over in and near the channel that drains the little lagoon. The current was nonexistent when we were there so I was able to get to places I might not go to otherwise.)

Kauai was quite nice. We stayed a few days in the south and then spent the rest of the trip up north. The north was my favorite, by far. You have to go to the north in the summer if you want to get in the water, though. 50 ft. waves up there in the winter time. The whole island was really relaxed, though. It seemed pretty small-town, and that was nice for the relaxation.

We also hiked to just about as close as you can get without a helicopter to the wettest place on earth. Thirty-five feet(!) of rain per year.
--Andy, the bucket man.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Just back from vacation - Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:41 PM
We were in Kauai for our honeymoon 7 years ago - my understanding is that Kauai simply doesn't grow big strong reefs in the first place.  We stayed in the north too....small town indeed, reminded me of the places in Iowa where I guide people for fly fishing...

Saw much more fish diversity to the south. 

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Reward points : 549
Re:Just back from vacation - Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:28 PM
Small world, I also did a honeymoon on Kauai and hiked the Na Pali coastline.  What amazed me was that, other than us, there were two other people at the North beach.  It was nearly deserted and it was one of the most beautiful places I have seen.  I agree it had a small town feel to it and I'd like to go back someday.  There were stunning views on the hike.  There were a lot of nice snorkeling places right along the side of the highway too.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Just back from vacation - Friday, June 27, 2014 1:08 AM
We were in Hawaii 25 years ago for our honeymoon as well. Kauai and the Big Island.  NaPali Coast, lots of yellow tangs and other amazing fish, Scuba, helicopter ride, hiked the crater from lava desert to rainforest, saw the lava oozing out of the earth, the black sand beach, saw rainbows over Kilowea crater! Fabulous. Good food, too. Stayed at bed and breakfasts, a cabin at Volcanoe park, wonderful.  Would go again in a heartbeat, but, strangely, haven't.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Just back from vacation - Saturday, June 28, 2014 2:28 PM
Must be a reefer/fishhead thing, we also took our honeymoon in HI. First week on Lanai and second on Kauai. We went in September and there was almost no one else there it seemed. Soooo relaxing. Can't wait to go again! I didn't see any turtles up close but I recall seeing several on Shipwreck Beach on Lanai. The resort was also on a bay where a pod of spinner dolphins routinely visited. Worst thing I saw were tourists standing and walking on all the stony corals at a location where we snorkled.