Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback)

Magicj
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Reward points : 254
Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Monday, July 14, 2014 6:14 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback)
Social Structure:  Male/Female (hopefully)
Size of Individuals: 
Age of Individuals: 
Date added to Tank:  12 July 2014

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 
Substrate Details:  None
Filtration Details:  Air driven sponge filter
Water Changes:  20% each week using NSW
Water Temperature:  28 degrees celcius
Lighting:  DIY LED
Lighting Cycle:  7.30am to 7.30pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:  None

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Home made frozen mix (Fish, squid, mussels, prawns and scallops) 
Feeding Schedule: 

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

Magicj
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Monday, July 14, 2014 6:53 AM
My new breeding challenge - a pair of gorgeous captive bred Orchid Dottybacks. I am trying to find out exactly how old these are  - I requested a large one and a small one so they may be from different hatches.

I don't expect too much to happen for a while, but at least the journal is started

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:39 AM
If these two are male and female, they may breed for you sooner than you think. I need to find a mate for my long ranger.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Magicj
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:46 PM
I need some advice if anyone is reading this

The fish were added to the tank on 12 July along with the small piece of rock as shown in the picture above - this was added mainly to provide some initial filtering capacity and to seed the sponge filter.

Both fish made their 'home' in the rock and within 2 days were comfortable enough to swim around the tank and begin eating.

On 19 July I removed the rock and replaced it with 8 pieces of PVC pipe, including 2 fixed near the water line at one end and one capped and drilled which I hope will be used by the male as his breeding cave.

Since then, both fish have become extremely shy and are not actively eating, although I am pretty sure they are picking food off the tank floor when I am not around. I have witnessed them swimming around the tank but as soon as they see me they go into the pipes and stay there until after I leave.

So, the question - should I return the rock and if they choose to live/breed in it then so be it. Or, do I leave things as they are and hope that they eventually get used to the current layout?

All advice appreciated.

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 1044
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:23 PM
I have very little experience with this but I am currently working with a newly introduced pair of orchid dottybacks. I have a very similar setup as you do, pvc pipe pieces both on the floor and some suspended near the top of the tank. I do however also have some macro algae and a rather big rock in the tank. It looks like from your pic that its a small rock and if they decide to spawn in it you would still be able to observe the eggs? If so whats the harm of tossing it back in? You might find that with the rock back in they still choose the PVC. 

Magicj
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:22 PM
Thanks Mdoty

Rock was returned to their tank last night so we will see what happens.

Cheers

Magicj
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis fridmani (Orchid Dottyback) - Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:31 PM
The smaller fish has been getting a little beaten up over the past couple of weeks. There are no actual fights, but the larger fish patrols most of the tank and chases off the smaller one most of the time. Thus the smaller one spends most of the time in one of the water level pipes, or close by. It has been eating, but generally has to grab something quickly before being chased off.

So, not sure if this is the right thing to do, but yesterday I put the larger fish in a breeder basket with a PVC pipe to give the smaller fish a chance to feed properly and recover. The larger fish has been sulking and just sits in the PVC pipe.

Is this the right thing to do, or should I just have left them to sort themselves out?