O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success?

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:36 PM
The database says the Blue Spot has been raised successfully, but I can't find anything online.  Anyone know where any info is?  I'm wondering about first foods mainly.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 549
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:04 PM
I don't want to sidetrack your thread, but if someone can tell you about first food, could they also tell us where to get some healthy pairs that haven't succumbed to infections during handling and shipping?  This is one of my favorites. 

EasterEggs
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Monday, October 27, 2014 12:51 AM
Bump.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Saturday, November 1, 2014 2:18 AM
HMMMMM

I've heard rumors in the past, someone pointed to C-quest at one point. 

mPedersen
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Saturday, November 1, 2014 2:19 AM
Um, no, I just checked it, we do NOT have it in there as having been successfully spawned and reared.

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:22 PM
twas me whom told you.

CICIMAR in Baja, MX told us, Cortez Marine, back in early 2000's that they bred them, along with a few other endemics.  They wanted us to collect new broodstock, but that never happened.

mPedersen
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:06 PM
^ Yes, I do recall you telling me that now that you brought it up.  But I believe I was told C-quest had done it too, or was at least working on it, by someone who had worked at C-Quest (Todd, Edgar?)

I wonder if this is a case of "Bred" being "spawned" and not "spawned and reared"?  "Bred" seems to be misused on a very regular basis in the marine hobby. 

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:53 PM
I've gotten to see courtship before (it's quite an amazing display) but I lost one of the broodstock almost immediately after. Keeping broodstock alive is quite problematic for me.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

EasterEggs
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:58 PM
Interesting.  I'm caring for a pair that's been breeding for about 5 months.  I will have them in my possession soon though, and hopefully they will continue to be a good breeding pair so I can work with them.

dave w
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Sunday, November 9, 2014 11:06 PM
Good luck and let us know how it goes.  I've seen local shops have more and healthier stock recently in these fish.  I assume they like cool water, given the depths of their natural habitat.  If they've been breeding for 5 months and you can look at the size of just one new hatched larvae it might give you some good indication of the size of first food to offer.  

EasterEggs
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Saturday, January 17, 2015 10:48 PM
Well, I have this pair in my possession now.  I hope they like their new home.  Their were paired and spawning in a 90-gallon aquarium (at 80F btw) and are now in a 40-gallon breeder to themselves.  I have them at 80F right now because that's what they're used to and they've been doing tremendously well, so why mess with it.

I know one from the other now as I noticed when transferring them that their blue spots are very different from each other.  I do know that the assumed female appears obviously gravid during that time.  From my limited observations, I believe the female is the one that tends the eggs.  She did not hold them in her mouth, she kept them in her cave.  However, I was not observing who was who, so I'm not sure I have the sexing right, and I'm not sure if they were trading burrows or not.  Hopefully time will tell. 
Here are some crappy cell phone pics...

I think this is the male (he's very docile):

I think this is the female (she's very skittish and bites!):

EasterEggs
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:46 PM
Well, that was short-lived.  The assumed female managed to jump out.  I accidentally left the lid a bit cockeyed.  *sigh*

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:56 PM
That sucks. Jawfish are such pesky jumpers.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

dave w
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Sunday, January 18, 2015 10:11 PM
That is such a bummer!  I've heard that it is hard to keep the blue spot jawfish alive after shipping stress, so your established pair had such a good chance.  I assume you will try to find another female now?

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:07 PM
Poop!  Sorry to hear that.

mPedersen
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Monday, January 19, 2015 12:48 AM
D#$^$#^@235@#^@#^#@!!!!

EasterEggs
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Monday, January 19, 2015 9:48 PM
I will probably have a tough time re-pairing.  They are not a fish that my LFS carries as they do not sell well here.  I asked him if he would consider ordering two and I buy one, and he was not excited about that idea.  Lol.  He said these fish used to go "on sale" through some suppliers quite often, but now he never sees them on sale anymore.  He would only order them if they were on sale, and has been watching for the last 6 months.  I guess I will hold tight as see what happens.  For now, the remaining one is not yet eating - I added a dither Percula to the tank.  I forgot to mention he is blind in one eye (he damaged it some months ago).

Arc Katana
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Monday, January 19, 2015 10:10 PM
So is there an easier way to determine male/female?  Just saying if you're going to make it down to the Conference in July, might make getting the right sex fish easier for you if we know what to look for

mPedersen
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:13 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Arc Katana

So is there an easier way to determine male/female?  Just saying if you're going to make it down to the Conference in July, might make getting the right sex fish easier for you if we know what to look for

Unfortunately, all I ever gathered was that males have a proportionately larger head.  If you look at Mindy's photos of the broodstock, that might hold true.  But doubly-unfortunately, it also means that unless you can observe the fish side by side, determing which have "big" vs. "little" heads is probably terribly difficult.

On the upside Mindy, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right on blind luck. Far better odds than any other form of gambling I'm aware of. 

EasterEggs
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:37 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Arc Katana

Yeah, that certainly would be great!  I would have to get permits in place before I went.  I've not tried moving fish across the border (I'm in Canada) on a plane with me attending, although I've had no trouble moving fish across the border driving.  Honestly, I think the best guess possible is if one can recognize a gravid female.  I'm not sure if a female would become gravid without the presence of a male though.

Matt, you're right though, 50/50 is good odds - all relative.     Playing Devil's Advocate though, just because I get a male and a female does not mean I will get a "pair".  So, in reality the odds of forming a pair are definitely less than 50/50.

GreshamH
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:29 PM
They went on sale when a certain exporter would flood the market with semi illegal ones.  He just got convicted, again, so I doubt he'll be smuggling fish, people, drugs and guns.

EasterEggs
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:28 PM
Quote Originally Posted by GreshamH
They went on sale when a certain exporter would flood the market with semi illegal ones.  He just got convicted, again, so I doubt he'll be smuggling fish, people, drugs and guns.

Oh.  That's not cool.  Who's dat?  I just tried Google and only found some guy involved with the Idaho Aquarium.

Arc Katana
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:41 PM
Gresham - is that the guy who was with/was Cortez Marine?  (The same guy who tried to smuggle the Clipper Angels last year)

GreshamH
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:22 PM
No, it was not my old boss, Steve Robinson.  Steve has permits for Baja, has since the 70's actually.  That's how I know so much about the Sea of Cortez

Strangely enough, the dude took our old name though... Cortez Tropical Marine or something like that. 

Here's his latest conviction:
http://www.dailybreeze.co...-off-catalina-island/1

Years ago:
http://www.justice.gov/us...ssroom/pr2005/127.html

GreshamH
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:24 PM
IIRC his BSJF permit was a "shark by-catch" permit... meaning they officially go fishing for sharks, but come up with tiny jawfish that they catch on #22 mustard hooks.  Not sure how that can be by-catch :lol:

EasterEggs
Re:O. rosenblatti (Blue Spot Jawfish) Success? - Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:10 AM
Dirty.