Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Reward points : 880
Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis - Monday, August 4, 2014 8:44 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Tetraselmis chuii
Species description:  motile green algae
Culture source (link if possible):  Starter culture donated by Waldend, obtained from MBI conference
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date: 7/23/14
Continuation Date:  11/1/14

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.020
Temperature:    room temp, approx 70-72 degrees F
pH:  Not directly measured, but approx 8.1 when newly mixed

Vessel description:  1 quart plastic bottles
Lighting description:  13 w spiral cfl bulb
Lighting cycle:  16 hours on, 8 hours off
Aeration description:  moderate bubble rate with rigid airline

Methodologies
Split methodology:  Split as cultures mature.  At 7-8 days, when culture is dark green, new culture bottle is inoculated with approx 25% of mature bottle (remainder used for feed).

Culture medium description:  20 drops Guillard's f/2 per 1 quart of NSW mixed at SG 1.020.  Sterilized by (1) microwaving to 180 degrees F and allowing to cool to room temp, or by (2) Chlorox technique (1 ml standard Chlorox per gallon of media;  dechlorinated with 0.4ml of Drs. Foster & Smith Chlorine Neutralizer per 1 quart bottle at least 15 minutes before inoculation).

Cell count: not presently measured 
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by Lrood on Saturday, January 24, 2015 1:36 PM>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Monday, August 4, 2014 8:50 PM
Thanks to Daniel for sharing this starter culture with me. The initial starter was inoculated into NSW at 1.022 SG, sterilized by microwaving to 180 degrees and allowing to cool to room temp. Twenty drops of f/2 added to 1 quart culture bottle, gentle bubble rate. These were started on 7/23/14, and have been split once now. Initially we're slow to progress, but have now seemed to take off. I'm about ready for the second split. The tet cultures are the 2 right center bottles. The far right bottle (partially pictured) is an old nanno culture being discontinued.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis - Monday, August 11, 2014 1:21 PM
I took a look at a drop under high dry magnification when I split a bottle yesterday.  Wow, are they ever active and big (compared to my t-iso & nanno).  Here is a very short video clip I took through my scope with the iPhone.

https://www.youtube.com/w...-qvcnm40Z0QZqxLxh6OBaw

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis - Friday, August 29, 2014 7:36 PM
After the first couple of splits, I began using only the bleach sterilization method. I've not had any problems, and like the DFS chlorine neutralizer. This method is more convenient for me than the microwave sterilization process.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis - Friday, August 29, 2014 11:04 PM
I have switched to chlorine as well and it's so much less of a pain. I can now use plastic containers and don't have to worry about evaporation during the boiling.

Lrood
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis - Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:30 AM
Still doing great with same methods described above. Cultures seem to consistently mature in about 8-9 days at ambient room temp (approx 72 degrees). During winter, my room temp drops a couple of degrees, so we'll see if growth slows significantly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis - Thursday, November 6, 2014 2:58 PM
A short video clip at hi-dry magnification for the continuation report.  

https://www.youtube.com/w...-qvcnm40Z0QZqxLxh6OBaw
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis - Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:21 AM
Culture continuation date submitted in report is 11/1/14. Cultures still going strong with no changes in techniques. Now to find something to feed with these!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tetraselmis - Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:42 PM
Now put that date in the first entry of this journal!  To get credit for continuation, your first entry in the journal has to match the report for some key information.  You are the only one who can edit it…. sorry.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)