President89 BroodStock System

president89
  • Total Posts : 224
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 222
President89 BroodStock System - Tuesday, August 5, 2014 10:10 PM
Thanks for everyone's responses on my noob questions. Here's what I decided on. I decided to go this way for the following reasons. They may not make sense to others, but they make sense to me. 
To minimize space usage in my "Fish Room", maximize space actually used by clownpairs, minimize the number of tanks, and I like the thicker glass. I cracked a few of my 10g tanks. In my experience, the smaller clowns I want to focus on waste most of the 10G tank footprint. Mine stay around 8" around their pot except to eat at the surface.  I can fit my 40G breeder in the same spot at 4 10G tanks were before with room for a 10G to spare. 36" wide instead of 48" inches for the 10's. I will keep my 15G clown bloodstock tank going for a QT. No sense risking anything!
Tank: 40G breeder split up into 5 compartments - Note to all, I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you can squeeze a caulking gun in here better than I. Maybe a bunch of squeeze tubes would have been easier. I struggled aiming the tip of the caulking gun. Also when getting glass dividers. Be smart and tape them off BEFORE you put them in the tank. The tape will help keep the silicone nice and neat. I struggled on the first floor trying to tape neatly with the divider hot glued into the tank for stability. Also, hot glue works AWESOME when trying to secure a divider. Dries in seconds, and from what I hear, it's reef safe - it's simply melted and cooled plastic, not actual glue. I started with 3/16" black acrylic and wanted to do teeth and have 1 return, and 1 drain, but I decided that wasn't for me, and I think ultimately my acrylic would have bowed. Waste of $120, but good learning experience I guess.
Sump: 40G SUMP from a local board - . This is my first sump. I have some live rock to put in here. It depends on how much room I really have in there. I will ask some specific questions around configuration.
Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB 150
Heaters: Various titanium heaters - controlled by a ranco unit.
Return Pump: EHEIM 1262
Plumbing:
Drain:  1" bulkheads to solid 1" return line.My plan is to hard plumb the tank so I can seal everything off. I was thinking of putting durso's on each compartment to minimize noise and it will help on space since I'll be plumbing to the rear of the tank.
Return: 3/4" with globe valves for each tank - was planning on plumbing the return back into the sump to avoid backpressure on the pump. Is this necessary if I put a ball valve and an outlet right close to the pump returning it back into the sump. I heard the continuous flow is better.
UV sterilizer - I'm considering one of these as I map out the plumbing. Not sure if it's imperative for brood stock. I heard it was for growout.
Lighting : fluorescent home depot special
Tank with 1/4" glass dividers painted with Krylon fusion. A couple are slightly crooked, but hey it was my first rodeo! Use two wooden guides next time I guess.

Sump - Ugly isn't it. You can see themnants of my original return line. I saved it because I knew I'd be at this again.

This is someone else's sketchup. This is what I want to do for my drains - ignore the internal overflows.

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:39 PM
Any critical feedback before I start glueing together some PVC.

Magicj
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Reward points : 254
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:54 PM
I'm not even close to being an expert, but you don't think the compartments in the tank might be a bit narrow?

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:54 PM
I've seen a 29G tank split like this and they were succesful. Plus I have 10G's setup the long way, and my observations are that my clowns utilize about 25% of the tank. But yes, I think I might be pushing the limit on size here. I wouldn't go any smaller, even though I've seen folks keep them in 5.5G.

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Monday, September 8, 2014 9:34 PM
Ran into some issues with plumbing. My 90" elbows and my T's do not have the same length. It's a bit hard to explain, but when I line them up with the bulkheads one is longer. Also I didn't cut my bulkheads equally distant so it's quite difficult to get 5 pipes lined up absolutely perfect. I'm considering using spaflex hose that I have laying around to compensate... This is all on hold because my snowflake clowns started laying, so I have no interest in moving them just now.

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:27 PM
I made some progress. I had some spaflex on hand and decided to use it to make up for my inexact plumbing. I'm now working on my return via loop. Last will be the durso standpipes. Making good progress. I didn't leave myself enough room between tank top and the top shelf. I plan to take the tanks off the top, and bump the shelf up a few inches. I can still reach everything..but not as comfortable. Excited that I was able to figure out the drains. I was worried I wasted a tank. Please note the curve in the spaflex is front to back .... I wasn't that inexact! It's just a weird camera angle.

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Sunday, September 14, 2014 11:04 PM
More progress. Return lines all installed in a loop with globe valves and a shutoff. I decided to leave the last bit unglued- everything about the tankline is glued. I figured I may want flexibility into how far my return line goes into the water. If the fittings fall off, I won't have a mess because the glued section is below the tank line.

I get the feeling that people are shaking their heads at me. "Too narrow" "Not enough room between stand and tank top" "Why did you use spaflex"
I invite the critical feedback as I am no expert. I went the way I did to keep compact, and to use what I had on hand, and to deal with my shortcomings(spaflex).
I have no idea what to do with my sump. The return pump is on the far side of it, not pictured. I have some dead rock that I can put in. I have some bioballs, but I wasn't planning on using it. The sump itself has provisions for a fuge, Maybe I'll dump some live sand in there? I guess I need to do some searching on other folks sumps for broodstock pairs.
I'm not sure if this will work as a durso.

<message edited by president89 on Monday, September 15, 2014 3:55 PM>

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Monday, September 15, 2014 7:43 AM
Looks fine to me!

check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Monday, September 15, 2014 3:58 PM
Any feedback on this modified Durso. I figured since the water is entering below the bulkhead I'll eliminate the gurgling. I did plan to drill a hole in the cap to avoid a siphon. Sorry I cannot seem to rotate this picture.

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Monday, September 15, 2014 11:23 PM
Got some water going. Happy with sound - once I figure out my skimmer. Had a good video, but it's aligned the wrong way.

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:55 PM
Re-recorded the video. I think I figured out the noise - just needed to dial down the returns. Haven't figured out how low I want the return lines/ drain lines to sit in the tank. Any recommendations on that? Does it even make sense to have the drain start way down low and travel up the pipe and into the bulkhead.  Video  - http://youtu.be/Omae-UW2sWw

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:13 PM
Setup is going good. One drawback is I don't have a strong flow, and therefore I have to do a lot of siphoning. But so far, I got two sets of clowns to spawn in just 4 weeks which I would say is a good sign. I added a remote deep sand bed in a 5 gallon bucket. Nitrates are still around 25 ppm, but that's pretty good considering the amount of feeding I do. I will check again this week since I removed the live rock which was more than likely leaching nitrates.

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:07 PM
Nitrates are steady at 25 PPM. I'm going to let this RDSB mature. Next I'll look into implementing an algae scrubber - I already have a paint tray design ready to go. Good news is 3 out of 5 pairs in the system have started laying within 4 weeks of putting them in there, and none were spawning prior to that. I think the consistency achievable with a centralized setup.

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Friday, December 5, 2014 7:30 PM
A little late to the party, but congrats.  I think with your set up you'll be fine with smaller species.  Any pics of the babies?

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Saturday, December 6, 2014 10:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Arc Katana

A little late to the party, but congrats.  I think with your set up you'll be fine with smaller species.  Any pics of the babies?

All pairs stopped spawning after I had to treat with formalin. Some appear to be starting back up again.

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Sunday, January 4, 2015 4:23 PM
This setup appears to work. I have successfully paired and gotten 4 out of 5 pairs spawning in just a few months - some as soon as 30 days.

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:33 PM
Congrats!  Show us some pics

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:10 PM
Quick update with Pics.
20150218_213630 by president89, on Flickr
20150218_213658 by president89, on Flickr

Jake
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 140
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Saturday, February 21, 2015 7:58 AM
Its looking good, breeding is the proof of it.
Jake
We are all in this together

president89
Re:President89 BroodStock System - Saturday, February 21, 2015 9:57 AM
One major design flaw I may have mentioned earlier, is the krylon fusion peeling off the dividers. I've been sliding acrylic sheets in there to block the fish's view of each other.... major pain.