Blue Throat Triggers

goat585
  • Total Posts : 98
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 481
Blue Throat Triggers - Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:01 PM
I have a male and female blue throat trigger in my 240 reef.  I noticed some very odd behavior last night that I had not seen before.  The two triggers met up in the center of the reef tank in the lower half of the tank.  They then started to bite at the side of each others faces.  They then interlocked the side of there bodies and spun to the top of the tank extremely quick and then swam off.  They did it at least three times then I did not witness it again.  It was done about 5 hours before lights off.  I tried to get a video but I am not sure if it came out well enough to see what was happened.  I am downloading it now.  I will post it if it shows something.

Does anyone have information on how these guys spawn?  I know rises are common amongst some of the fish species.

Thanks

goat585
Re:Blue Throat Triggers - Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:18 PM
Blue throat triggers: http://youtu.be/ilMPXYTem70

You can send it at the beginning of the video. The first two I saw they were much tighter together and were much more aggressive.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Blue Throat Triggers - Monday, October 27, 2014 12:21 AM
Looks like a spawning rise to me.  I know they do "fake" rises without releasing any eggs/gametes though.  Have they continued to do this?
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 549
Re:Blue Throat Triggers - Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:30 PM
Some triggers make a nest in the morning, lay eggs, then the larvae hatch the following evening.  I don't know if blue throat triggers follow this pattern.  I hear that an easy way to know if you have a nesting pair is that they become very aggressive towards everything else in the tank.  Hope that helps.

goat585
Re:Blue Throat Triggers - Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:07 AM
I have not witnessed it again but from time to time the two of them are a little nipped up.  They can be a little feisty with each other.  My lights go out real late so I cannot say what they are doing around lights out time.  I thinking about getting a camera to be able to see what they are doing when the lights go out.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Blue Throat Triggers - Saturday, November 1, 2014 2:17 AM
They should not be pelagic spawners and should be nest diggers.  Could be a sign of interesting things to come, or could just be random aggression / interaction.

road8514
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 1239
Re:Blue Throat Triggers - Thursday, February 5, 2015 7:08 PM
I have a pair of blue throats that have been acting strange as well. However no Spawning rises. The male has a major change in color as you can see on his forhead. He follows the female and nudges her around. They stay close to the bottom and blow the gravel. They have been doing this for about a week and still have not seen anything else yet. Thoughts? I included a video.

<message edited by road8514 on Thursday, February 5, 2015 7:26 PM>

road8514
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 1239
Re:Blue Throat Triggers - Thursday, February 5, 2015 7:11 PM
For some reason I cant get it to load to the page. It can be found here. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mf65Nv-w1g
<message edited by road8514 on Thursday, February 5, 2015 7:23 PM>

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 549
Re:Blue Throat Triggers - Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:04 PM
I'm no expert on triggers, but from what I've heard they spawn every 3 weeks or so, and you should easily see the depression in the sand where up to a million small eggs are deposited.  I hear that they hatch in the late morning.

And they will aggressively bite you if you put your hand in the tank.  So maybe you can wear some kind of protection on your hands if you want to be sure they have eggs.

I don't know about blue throats in particular, but I hear that is general information that pertains to the triggers.  Maybe some people who know more than this will help with more information.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Blue Throat Triggers - Saturday, February 7, 2015 11:56 PM
Have you read Frank Baensch's article about breeding the related Crosshatch Triggerfish? It was in CORAL a little while back - http://www.reef2rainfores...-contents-marapr-2012/